HIPP K1 boats

-- Last Updated: Apr-11-04 8:35 PM EST --

Anybody have any information on a whitewater boat made by HIPP in Mass? I meant to write C-1 not K-1

Thanks
Mike

Maybe Hyperform?
High Performance Plastics (Hyperform) was a manufacturer of composite boats back in the '70s. I believe they were located in MA. They were the licensed manufacturers for Lettmann and Prijon design hulls.

Could this be the “HIPP” you are looking for?

Jim

I think you’re right. Hyperform C-1s are
quite rare, seen much less often than Hahn C-1s like I had. Probably the best all-around boat they had was the Lettman Mark IV kayak, but my favorite was the Lettman Alpin, a sort of combination heavy water/ creek kayak. A friend had one. The company may have failed in part because they offered too wide a range, instead of concentrating on improving ergonomics in the best boats in their line. I think they died before plastic boats were a real threat.

Just bought one

– Last Updated: Apr-11-04 10:08 PM EST –

I just bought one on EBay for a good price and I dont know anything about them.I was just looking for a boat to play around with while I learn whitewater.The boat was described as a decked canoe with foam pedestle and knee pads and is used with a canoe paddle.It is 13 ft,Where these good quality boats?

Thanks
Mike

HIPP C-1’s
Sounds like a Lettman Mistral. Could be a III or a IV. Difference is in the stern volume - the IV’s had much less stern volume as an aid to “sneaking” gates (these were originally slalom boats).

I had several IV’s and I enjoyed them. The “factory” outfitting was an integrated coaming/pedestal with integrated thigh braces (machines)which fit me perfectly. Fit so well that extricating my size 11’s was difficult, but allowed me to remain in contact with the boat for successive roll attempts.

Hulls were laid up in kevlar/foam/kevlar, lightweight glass with graphite strand stigginers, and standard glass/roving.

Sounds like you have a piece of history!

Jim

Stigginers
Fingers not working. Should have been “stiffiners”.

Jim

The price was right
That’s good to hear,I got the boat,helmet,PFD,paddle and skirt for 150.00 I think it was a good deal.

Mike

Cool
Retro Dude!

Old School
Old School