Hitch Receiver For Subaru OB

Looking for recommendations of brands/models of hitch receivers to install on a 2006 Subaru Outback. There are apparently some receivers which are normally “out of sight,” but I don’t know if they require a fancy insert, or just how they would work. The factory receiver sounds a bit expensive compared to the aftermarket versions. Anyone have any good or bad experiences to share?

some photos of installation
Check out subaruoutback.org, in the forums. (No registration required). Look at the “how to” section for an article on a hitch install.

There may be more photos in the GALLERY section of the website.

No connection to the story, and no practical experience, since I bought an Outback with the factory hitch already on it.

Paul

Aftermarket

– Last Updated: Mar-14-07 3:37 PM EST –

I had my receiver installed after market in Ipswich Ma. Cost was about $200. I bought my Subaru used so it wasn't an option for factory installation. Also bought a adjustable hitch with the two different sized balls that allow you to swap balls.

Only thing I don't like is the way the lights hook up. The light cable is inside and you need to have it hang out under the rear door which makes it a fiddle to get the door to close tightly.

Can also use it with the Thule bike carrier that slots into the receiver.

Suz