Horsetooth swim competition

-- Last Updated: Sep-17-07 8:24 PM EST --

I finally found an event in my area. But its not for paddling. I found out that The anual Horsetooth Swim event needs support Craft for the event. Sinse the race is a whoping 10K, They have to get At least 25 kayaks or canoes to follow the racers and assist them in a bad situation. Bassically, you are asigned to one racer, and you just follow them with a PFD, food, and hydration. It requires that you are familiar and confident with your craft. If a swimmer shows symptoms of struggling, illness, hypothermia, ETC, you have to throw them a pfd or life saver, and blow your whistle and wave your paddle to signal the rescue boats. Seems like fun, but I'm not sure if I can do it yet. For one, I eat alot because I'm a teen, and I have really fast matabillism and I might get weak from hunger in the middle. But I seem to be eating alittle less now that my growth is slowing down. Here is the link to the official site:

http://www.horsetoothswim.com/

What seems like "fun"
could possibly turn into a disaster!

Are you a strong swimmer if you might have to get into the water?

Have you thought about what you would do, besides blow the whistle if your swimmer was in real bad shape

You might be required to get into the water to help.

If I were you, I would go over in my mind all the bad things that could conceivably happen, and then if you feel you can handle each situation go for it and have fun.

Cheers,

JackL