How about a bulkhead sealant update?

I found several posts in the archives on products for sealing bulkheads. The consensus recommendation was Lexel. All the posts were 10 or more years old. What’s best these days?

I saw one recommendation for Sikaflex and I am wondering if that is the same thing Lowes sells as SikaBond, which the tube says is elastic and bonds permanently (after cure) even under water.

~~Chip

try 3M
look thru 3M product departments on line, pick the relevant department then send an email asking what joins or seals for your application of parts composition, environment, and stress level.

I did that relevant to a discussion of Lexel in Padnet then read thru RV-ville arriving at the conclusion Lexel is repacked 3M.

That is Lexel does not own a refinery or refinery time.

, ?

In Texas, many small epoxy, sealant, and adhesive plants dot the landscape. I’m advised many are mil spec.

Me
I was likely one (or more) of those posts. I now own stock in Lexel.

Why use something else…
when Lexel works so well.

If I had to redo mine, I would use Lexel

Jack L

Odd, but hard to find Lexel in my area
We do as much boating around Annapolis as anywhere, but for some reason, it is very hard to find Lexel in the county where I live. Ace carries it, but I have to go to an Ace in Baltimore or by DC–the ones in my county don’t carry it.

But good to know you folks that were using Lexel 10 years ago still believe in it. It past the test of time, at least ten year’s worth.

~~Chip

Should be some posts newer than that
Seems like it comes up every 6 months.

I have one boat I reseated 4 or 5 years ago and it’s still good. Done two others since.

Lexel’s the stuff.

DAC
10 years is a loooong time in adhesive chemistry for plastic hulls. Is BT sealing a plastic hull or composite. ?

The plastic adhesives and glues industry advanced sealants into the common market last year. Maybe Lexel is old.

If Lexel is 3M then 3M may have an improved product that is descented from Lexel.

Son of Lexel?

And in 9 years
We’ll find out if the new product is at least as good as Lexel.

Lexel
Just used Lexel to reseal the bulkhead on my composite kayak. Much better than silicone.

Lexel
This past spring, I used Lexel to seal a front bulkhead in a kayak which didn’t have one from the factory. Kayak is thermoformed polyethylene. Lexel worked great.

Frank

That is why I don’t understand…
why people are looking for something else.

I have used it on poly, Kevlar and carbon and it works good on all of them

Jack L

looks good from here…
http://www.sashco.com/hi/pdfs/LexelClear_MSDS.pdf.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Products/~/Adhesive-Sealants?N=5510818&rt=r3

look ? understand data base !

agree on testing but consider

1/ often reviews are written by the source

2/ WD-40 brigaid

3/ ……

Products test then enter an industrial use area then commercial then Walmart.

If you have a general understanding of products and applications then the next time we glue the elephant to the ceiling, we can skip Elmer’s.

Note that RV people rave abt Lexel yet the MSDS sez Lexel is in a hostile environment atop an RV….

What led me to the initial what is Lexel search as 100 RV’ers reviewing a positive only leads to suspicion.

Brick and mortar
You know, I have never actually even tried to find it in a brick and mortar store. Don’t know why I never looked locally. I’ve always bought from amazon.

EM89 sealant
EM-89 is the gray stuff now used on Confluence boats, someone here previously posted about it, but it’s expensive:

http://topkayaker.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_137&products_id=852

I’d be curious to try Permatex #85084 and see how well that adheres to PE.

The Ants Leave Lexel Alone
And don’t eat eat it like the Silicone stuff. So no leaks…

TruValue in Hillsmere
They always have it. Takes a long time to cure though. I’d wait five days before rough use.

GB. Gardner Bender Duct Seal
Is another old product that I use. It is reasonably priced and available from my neighborhood Ace Hardware.

I last used some to patch up holes that mice were using to get in my attic. Temporarily seal up tiny spaces that allow water inside my kayak and use it to wedge up the rudder, when the cable snaps, on my surfski. Also use it to keep the bugs out of my electrical outlet boxes too.

Keeps access panels and cover plates in place temporarily, when s/s screws rust out. Easy to work with.

Keep in mind
You’re probably better off using a 5oz tube versus a 10oz since it might be difficult to get a caulking gun into some of the tight areas. I only used about 1/2 tube(5oz)to seal both sides of the bulkhead.