How about a kayak rosary?

I used to just try using my fingers pressing into the paddle as I grip but would lose track of what decade or where within a decade. I put the beads on the deck bungees and just swipe the beads across the centerline with the appropriately timed stroke.

4 Likes

Great idea

I’ll ask it.
What are you counting?

3 Likes

If you’re not familiar with the Rosary you could Google it for a more detailed explanation but essentially it’s normally done with a set of rosary prayer beads and it’s a series of prayers which you keep track of by counting on the beads.

I know what a rosary is (as do most people here, I’m sure), but I am not familiar with combining it with a kayak. I think that’s what Rex was getting at. I know I was confused too.

1 Like

Separation of Church and Kayaking.

4 Likes

Well I usually go out for about 2 hours on my kayak either in the bay or in one of the tributary creeks and I enjoy praying while I’m kayaking it’s pretty much that simple !

1 Like

Our Lady of Perpetual Motion?

3 Likes

hey, I like it!

I thought you were counting paddle strokes or waves. Google gave me nothing.

The Rosary is a Scripture-based prayer. It begins with the Apostles’ Creed, which summarizes the great mysteries of the Catholic faith. The Our Father, which introduces each mystery, is from the Gospels. The first part of the Hail Mary is the angel’s words announcing Christ’s birth and Elizabeth’s greeting to Mary. St. Pius V officially added the second part of the Hail Mary. The Mysteries of the Rosary center on the events of Christ’s life. There are four sets of Mysteries: Joyful, Sorrowful, Glorious and––added by Saint John Paul II in 2002––the Luminous.

2 Likes

My former paddling partner was a nominal Catholic; I’m Protestant.
She gave me a Rosary with no explanation. I sold her a kayak and having no other idea, put the Rosary in the hatch.
We were paddling a river at flood and she was swept into a strainer and capsized but held on to the boat. Another very strong guy snatched she and the boat free and they floated to a safe spot so she could get back in.
She looked stunned when I told her the Rosary was with her.
The rest of the trip was without incident.
Just a story, no other intent

3 Likes

Paddlin’ over dams, it ain’t scary,
when ya got the Virgin Mary,
clingin’ to yer fo’deck bungee strap.

Or maybe you just need…
Your own,
personal,
Nanuuk.
Reach out 'n roll me.

1 Like

I don’t care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Ridin’ on the bow of my kayak.

2 Likes

Wish I would have though about 50 years ago. Mom may have let me paddle more if I had an on board rosary.

Mothers don’t let your babies grow up to be paddlers, don’t let 'em paddle canoes and kayaks and such, let 'em be doctors and lawyers or anything else. Where’s canoeswithduckheads when you need a lyric.

1 Like

whether you have a son or daughter
always good to get them out on the water
just teach 'em all the safety rules
and say a prayer they won’t be fools

I was born a snake handler and I’ll die a snake handler.