How about this kayak?

All I have is a sit on top and I’m looking for a boat to do some touring.What do you think of this one?

http://www.perceptionkayaks.com/prodigy-10

Your idea of touring?
This looks like a day use boat. A great boat to be sure, but not what I would chose for my idea of touring.

I would go with a 14 to 16 foot boat with front and rear hatches. This is because my idea of touring would include camping which requires much more gear than would ever fit in the above craft.

But if you are into one day treks, you can stuff a lot of stuff in one of these. I have a 9.5 foot that hauls all you can imagine using for a day.

But this is a good little boat for sure.

What’s your definition of touring.
Depending on if your on a lake or in an open Bay, then you may want to gear towards something that’s sea worthy for open Bay or if a small lake is all y ou have then your choice is ok.

GUBER…
Guber, from South Carolina… Hmmm… Perhaps Goober pray tell?

Well, be that as it may, a 10-footer with a 29-1/2 inch beam isn’t exactly what most of us would conjure up as a touring boat. Indeed, while it may be a fun, short-jaunt boat along the lines of P-Net’s Infamous Pungo, or the less notorious but perhaps even better-loved “Swifty”, note that even Perception lists it as a rec boat, and not even a ‘day touring’ offering.

Comparing general stats of the Perception rec lineup and the day touring lineup you’ll note that day tourers lengths run around 12’, widths around 24 inches. If, staying with Perception, you again transition, this time to straight “Touring” boats, you’ll observe a longer, narrower, faster boat ranging in the 16-17’ long/22-23" beam range.

You may tour just fine with a short, wide boat, but you’ll really “tour” with longer, narrower, easier-to-paddle-and-cover-distance (i.e., “touring”) boat.

Friend Guber, they’re REALLY the ones you want to tour in if that’s you’re real motivation to

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

I own a sparky
which is a swifty with a hard seat and I took it out today by myself since its all that fits inside my van that i can handle- otherwise i use my wilderness system tempest 165. What a difference a boat makes ! The sparky which is similar (a little smaller i think) to the prodigy is so small and wide and flat bottomed which is fine if you want to just paddle short distances and relax. It feels odd paddling it once you get used to a longer narrower boat that you can lean to turn etc. but still a fun boat for floating and observing wildlife. Different boats fit different needs - thats why we have a whole bunch ! If you buy the prodigy, you may soon progress and want longer, narrower, faster etc. Just ask anyone ! Its the rare person that is content with just one. I wish I was like that but…i’m not.! I think I would start with nothing shorter than 12 feet. Just my opinion!

Pamlico 13.5 NM

Prodigy 12
I just bought a Prodigy 12 as my third Kayak. My intended use is for fun play on small water, and a loaner to friends who want to ‘try kayaking’. It’s lighter and easier to load and carry than longer, heavier kayaks I have (a ‘tourer 15’,and a ‘sea kayak 17’).

Other than demoing the model last weekend, I haven’t paddled it. I’ll use it on local reservoirs, and flat salt water lagoons in residential areas, and haul it camping for something else to do besides hike and bike and drink beer.

Not sure if it’s any good for meeting women, though :wink:

It’s clearly a ‘bathtub rec. boat’ , a lot of fun and easy to paddle and enjoy, but not one I’ll plan to go more than 6-7 miles in, on a lake.

no!
Just in case this is a legitimate Question.

This is unsuitable.

How big is your SOT…
…if it makes the Prodigy 10 seem like a touring boat?

My SOT is 12’ long and kind of wide.
I got it at a garage sale.

Donna
you already know the answer to this.

Paul

keep looking…
If touring means longer distances and carrying more gear, possibly overnighters, or more open water. Depending on your size/weight, and doing a bit of assuming from “old_user”, look into a Wilderness Systems Tsunami125, or 120. Easy to paddle, load, and forgiving for the less experienced. If you weigh more than 225, look at something in the 14 foot range, or 12’s with a bigger payload.

You’ll have to define touring…

…in your terms because some have a different definition.

I don’t know what touring is but I have done some 4, 5, and 7 week kayak trips in my 12’ CD Kestrel.

The difference between a 10’ and a 12’ kayak is huge and 10’ kayaks are slow and won’t haul much.

I’d say No, but keep lookin’ and good luck.

Paddlin’ on

Richard

I have one.
It’s not a touring boat. It’s good for a newbie, especially if you’re not petite, for small winding rivers or small lakes where you need stability and want a large cockpit. However, a 12-foot boat will be more versatile even under those conditions and will track better, if you can afford a longer boat. I prefer my husband’s 12-foot Pungo, and am planning to get a 12-footer of my own next year. The Prodigy 10 is a great loaner boat or “buddy boat”. Mine gets borrowed frequently.

So, if you want to do larger lakes with big waves, etc. get a real touring boat. Go to a real paddle shop if there’s on nearby and tell them what you need.

If “touring” means the occasional 3-5 mile trip down the local little river, and you’re >200 pounds, and don’t want to spend too much money, then the Prodigy 10 might be adequate for you for now. You can always upgrade.

Most of all, get something, and get out paddling as much as you can.

Shades of Twilight Zone.Old User?

Longer ans skinnier
Maybe a Carolina 14 or an Eclipse 16 in the Perception line. Both nice boats.

jim