How do I add hip pads in a Capella RM?

-- Last Updated: Jul-24-05 1:40 PM EST --

I test-paddled Cappela RM's (160 and 166) yesterday. I'm comparing them to the Avocet RM and the Chatham 16. One thing I noticed is that I could use some more hip padding in the Capella since the fit is not as snug as I would like it to be. In most other boats there is a flat vertical surface on either side of the seat (part of the seat or a pillar of some kind) to which you can attach more padding. The Capella seat is very comfortable. However, there is no where that I could find a place to add hip support. I pointed it out to the dealer and really stumped him. He agreed with me, had no solution, and told me that no one had ever asked that question before.

Do any of you have an answer to that, from your own experience or otherwise?

Thank!
Avi

My CapellaRM is sitting in my LR
waiting for me to glue in foam. (too durn hot in the outside in July) I spoke with the dealer about how best to outfit it and have decided to just pad out the thigh braces a bit (primarily to add some cushioning and protect my knee from the skeg control). I too was concerned about not being as snug right at the hips (~ 1-1.5 inches of play on each side) but they assured me that it was snug enough since most of the boat control is going to be through the contacts of the feet, knee/thigh, and butt. They suggested I should be able to slide my hand between my hips and the seat anyway. I can always tweak it out more later but am not anxious to rip out the otherwise comfy manufacurers seat. I am fortunate enough to own two boats to learn in and so can see what I like about each and modifiy accordingly.

3hrTour

So are you saying
then that you would have to change out the seat in order to get a snugger fit? No easy way to add hip support? You are right that the stock seat is very good.

Thanks

Avi

No, not saying that.
If I wanted to pad out that area, I would probably first push a wedge of foam between the plastic of the seat and factory cushion. I don’t wobble around that much in the boat and from reading here, skilled paddlers can handle “rec” boats with their “sloppy” fit so a little looseness shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

I’m about as beginner as you can get so take my input as such.

3hrTour

hip pads
I have a Capella and although I don’t feel the need for hip pads, it looks like you might be able to just glue some foam blocks directly to the inside of the hull at the sides of your hips. Since there is no hanger in that location, I don’t see why it wouldn,t work.

Didn’t look like it
on the new Capella at the dealer. The (nice) seat comes up a bit on either side of the paddler and so there isn’t a clear shot to the hull. There is also part of the backband obstructing. Maybe your boat is different inside. I did get a private email from the P&H US rep who agreed with me and suggested somehow attaching a Pyranha hip pad but I haven’t looked into that yet

Thanks

Avi