How do you fill your day?

Hi, I’m new to Kayaking. I think without current assist I could paddle 12-15 miles a day comfortably. That’s what, about 4 hours a day? What do you do the rest of the time? Seems like I’ll have alot of spaces to kill. Looking for some ideas. Thanks.

Sitting and staring is not an idea.

Naps…

explore
Explore.

I’ve done 3 week+ kayak trips, and in each we find ways to fill up the time. Never been bored.

Are you for real ???
Honolulu for your location and wondering how to fill your time?

I did a trip last fall where we went day and night for 7 days exploring the waves, coasts, reefs, rivers, and mountains in Kauai… and still only saw a fraction of the Island.

Exploring is the best part of the trip. Go someplace where there are lots of things to see… caves to explore, surfing, snorkeling, hiking,

One of my favorite trips is Todos Santos in Baja …

http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/82306972DOpwcb?mediaPosition=82310798

pearl harbor would be
lots of fun to explore by kayak!!

I was thinking more like this …
ttp://youtube.com/watch?v=s6XVeHVfx80&feature=PlayList&p=C54FC1B9DCA8314A&index=17

Swat some bugs…
Fend off bears

Watch the sunset

-Watch the sun rise

-Beach comb

-read a book

-Plot the next days course

-Take a swim

-Look for snakes (I love them)

-Play around with manatees

-Play around with Orcas

-Rock hop(in a river)

-Turn over rocks at the water’s edge(critter hunting)

-Catch frogs, salamenders,turtles, small sharks, baby alligators, crabs, and all the little wonderful natural marvels

-Take a hike

and eat a PB & J sandwich

there is a lot more, but you would get bored reading about all the dull stuff we do.

Cheers,

JackL

First of all, if the question is related

– Last Updated: Jul-28-08 7:18 AM EST –

to a trip, you won't be paddling 12 - 15 miles in 4 hours "if" you want to enjoy it. From experience I suggest you go on one and see how short the day really is. Time flies when you're having fun ...and your day is regulated by daylight.

If you get bored on a trip then you need to sell whatever you're paddlin' cause this paddlin' life ain't for you.

Sittin' and starin' is something you will always do at sun-down and sun-up. Paddlin' trips are all about taking time "To stop and smell the roses".

Paddlin' on
Richard

People look at me as if I am crazy when
I say some of the most beautiful smells in the world are in the middle of a swamp.

Cheers,

JackL

Boat stuff
Work on rolls

Surf

Talk to other paddlers/boaters/swimmers/etc.

Snorkel

Fish

Explore

location, location…
What about reading a good book, or books?

Riding a bike is great even after kayaking or walk or jog…

The last time I went camping it was close enough to some nice cities and towns to have lunch, check out bookstores, art galleries.

There is a reason you want to go camping, right? TV and the internet (electronics) gets old after a while.

Reading is tiring at first but after a while I’m in a much better mood like the doors opened in my mind.

So let me ask this - - - ??
You must not work full time or any overtime, and don’t have much else to do - - -

Wanna trade places?? Then you can wonder when you’ll get a boat on the water.

Add in the time it takes to load/unload
your gear through the hatches of a sea kayak.

give yourself
an hour on each end of the paddling day to set up and take down camp, then add an hour (or more) for breakfast in the morning and an hour for making dinner in the evening(assuming you like to eat well and are not content with freeze dried or beenie weenies)—like the fellow above I like to smoke my pipe(only when camping—have to fight with wife if I do it at home)–so that usually takes up another hour. My guided clients often like to go for a short local paddle in the evening after dinner—that assumes you are paddling on the ocean. You can also work on your paddle strokes and rolls, go swimming/snorkling, decide on and plot your course for the next day and if you still have time and daylight read a book-----all this assumes that you aren’t like some people and paddle 20, 25, or 30 + miles a day.

You’ve never been on a trip, evidently
If it’s an ocean trip, you not only have to figure in time for loading and unloading each time you move to/from a new campsite, you also have to figure possibly multiple boat moves depending on what the tides are doing and how high they reach.

Figure a nice 2 hrs to break camp, eat a decent breakfast, and pack and move everything. 1.5 hrs if hurrying a little, 1 hr if hurrying a lot. Don’t forget that little things like taking a crap and properly disposing of the waste takes more time than it does at home. And always check the weather forecast each day before setting out, plan the day’s route if not done the day before, etc.

There is also the business of FINDING a suitable campsite, which sometimes eats up a fair bit of time. Then there is gathering and filtering fresh water for drinking, unless the trip is short enough you can carry all of it in the boat.

After that, there is the fun part: watching wildlife, hiking, photographing, reading, talking with your partners if it’s a group trip.

And, as JackL pointed out, while doing 12 miles in 3 hrs is nothing for a day trip near home, when you’re in a new area you may want to stop and look around some. Even a few short stops lowers your overall mph quite a bit.

and no one mentioned this:
While you are paddling to get somewhere, its always nice to stop and look around, and then try to become one with Nature.

It may take a while to reach Nirvana, and once you get there, don’t be in a hurry to leave.

Have fun, Kaps

Well. I noticed everyone
named adventurous things to kill time. But after a days paddle he will be tired and may just wanna chill in the tent. I think when people stay indoors all day they desire comming out, but when I stay outside all day, especially on a long kayak trip, theres nothing better than being inside. Its like cabin-fever, caused by the opposite spectrum. Think about it- when your out all day, dont you wanna come in and just relax indoors?? So I think if you had a long day of outdoor activity than doing some laid-back things in the tent may be nice. Just reading a book or magazine, or maybe having a small TV with bateries, which is nice after a full day of being away from civilized lifestyle. Radio might be nice too.

You see …
… if you were in a canoe , you could just slip into a shaded cove , drop anchor , and take a little siesta whilst listening to the wildlife lull you away … if late in the eve. , might be morning when next the eyes open …

radio
is one thing I usually bring, togather with earphones so I won’t disturb people if any are around—I like to listen to NPR on saturdays–Prarie Home Companion

Skinny Dipping and Sex
Hey! You asked!