how do you keep your actioncam lens free of drops?

Hi there, i have a nice new actioncam in 4k, but drops & streaks always leaves me with an inferior picture. i would like to leave it mounted in front of me, do you leave yours covered (with a bag?) till you are ready to shoot? thanks , R

Have you tried applying a water repellent, such as Rain-X?

thanks, i use rainx on my car windows, it makes the drops smaller, but they are still there. there is also a sticker that you can get called goclear for the camera lens which does something similar.

this guy mentions licking the lens , but am wondering if there is another way
[https://youtube.com/watch?v=2ujdlcXw8RM&t=2m35s]

Works on scuba masks.

Install eyelids. Mine usually work quite well in combination with blinking.

I have tried rainx still has drops on the lens. Maybe a little better but not much. I still haven’t solved the problem. I will try the lic BUT not record me doing it.

The higher the better - the deck in front of a kayak doesn’t seem to work well. Have you considered a helmet mount?

Try paddling on dry land on a sunny day. Works well for my videos. I add the water in during editing.

@eckilson said:
The higher the better - the deck in front of a kayak doesn’t seem to work well. Have you considered a helmet mount?

Wife does that…makes me sea sick watching her look left, right, up, down, left…ugh.

The “rinse, lick and spit” method works well for me. Rinse/splash the lens with water to remove debris and streaks, lick it to clear it, then spit out what you licked off, especially in salt water.

@bnystrom said:
The “rinse, lick and spit” method works well for me. Rinse/splash the lens with water to remove debris and streaks, lick it to clear it, then spit out what you licked off, especially in salt water.

Glad I wasn’t eating when I read this.

RainX hasn’t worked very well for me. A good, solid wave will run right off the lens, but small splashes tend to stick. I just ordered some XClear yesterday and will let ya know how well it works.

@DrowningDave said:

@bnystrom said:

Glad I wasn’t eating when I read this.

Wimp!

I’d rather watch an autopsy. B)