How do you lock up your kayak?

How do you lock up your kayak - - specifically to your roof rack?

I use a cable lock . It has 2 parts,
and each has a loop. The loops go over bow and stern and the 2 parts are joined with a combination lock. There is some excess length that I wrap around the rack bars.

It makes a snatch and grab difficult. I bought it on line.

It’s called Lasso Lock
Works well.

Lasso locks plus
The one weakness of the lasso locks is that it would only take the least of a bolt cutter to remove them. However, if you wrap the long part around your roof rails and cross bars enough times, it will take someone long enough to get to the rest of it they likely to be seen.

Use double straps at each point and they will need no company for over 20 minutes to take the boat, even with a bolt cutter.

Some boats have a metal thing up front to use, but the line rlthe it would still be the weak point.

lasso delay
I am aware of two lasso locks … there could be more. The first doesn’t even need a bolt cutter, a pair of side cutters can gnaw through them rather quickly (so I hear). The second style is much stouter, but can also be defeated. Another idea is to put a wheel lock (sold as a aute driver’s wheel lock) in the cockpit and lock a chain to that.

No matter what you do, a determined thief can get your kayak. Nevertheless, delaying the thief with such devices may be enough to discourage them. Parking in a somewhat remote location is not so good, thereby allowing the thief a more comfortable working environment.

Recording the kayak serial number (if you can find one) and taking some kayak photos is a good idea. If the kayak falls into one of your insurance categories, that information may make your insurance company happier.

variety of means
I use a variety of means to make theft less handy and attractive. One is customization – I have very obvious semi-permanent stickers and labels of various kinds on my boats so they are uniquely identifiable even at a distance. My name and phone humber are written inside each cockpit in Sharpie. I use cable locks to attach them to the roof rack. When I have to leave them parked outside (like in a motel overnight during a road trip), I carry a couple of light canvas 6’ x 20’ painters’ tarps and thoroughly “mummify” the boats with multiple wraps of bungee and rope, making them a “pig in a poke”.

Honestly, I worry less about determined professional thieves than I do casual vandals and kids up to mischief. But then I have kind of oddball boats with limited appeal to most thieves. I do wish more boat makers would include a security feature in their boats, like the steel bar embedded in the stern deck of my P & H poly kayak.

I think there is definitely a market for a more robust anti-theft device for roof racked kayaks. I think something could be constructed of perforated steel unistrut, shackles and hardened chain (the latter fished through rubber hose of some kind to dampen rattling.) Or a clamshell like structure that would slip under and over the midsection of a boat or pair of them that would then be padlocked shut.

The ultimate security is a folding kayak. I’m leaving soon on a road trip and two of the kayaks will be securely locked inside the car snug in their duffel bags.

I use dog run cable with a pad lock
It is plastic coated over steel.

I have a 20 foot one and a 12 foot one.

I cut the snap swivel off one end

Nice and cheap at wally world

It will discourage the dummy crooks !

jack L

additional answers
Walk away from the roof mounted kayak ?

parked where and how far walking time/distance

day or night ?

the van’s roof rack/rear bumper has shock sensors into an Omega alarm system with horns/sirens.

Padlock and metal chain
wrapped about the legs of my dock - when it’s down at the beach. Very thick, heavy and noisy chain.

Most of the time I keep it in my back porch - another padlock, chained to a metal dining table with a glass top.

If I had it on my roof and needed to stop overnight, I’d bring the boat into my motel room. If I was traveling, I’d have my cart with me. I’d toss my overnight bag in the cockpit and treat it as an oversize luggage cart.