How Far Can I Paddle?

my car doesn’t have it either
I roll the windows down.

Do you think people just started driving long distances or started doing physical activities in the heat recently? Or that it’s only been this hot for the last few years? Good grief.

This is so over-the-top

– Last Updated: Aug-01-15 8:05 PM EST –

All this stuff about people not being able to function when it's hot on account of a lack of fitness, the wrong diet or dietary supplements, or not being acclimated, is a case of creating a problem that isn't there. But what else is to be expected from someone who's invented a whole host of personal health problems (surely no doctor can back up your claims about that long list of very specific sensitivities and special needs) and then just assumes everyone else has similar perceived troubles.

I sometimes do hard work outside in hot conditions for my job. Sometimes it's regularly for weeks at a time, and sometimes it's only a day or two over the course of an entire summer. I take advantage of air-conditioning when possible, and have noticed NO difference in how I feel or how my body reacts whether the hot-weather work is frequent or the first time since the previous year.

Years ago I did martial-arts workouts in a group environment (very motivating that way - no way to be lazy) in the loft of a gym, right under a hot metal roof. I never noticed that any acclimation was required. Nowadays it can be the middle of winter and out of the blue I decide to do strenuous stretching exercises in the steam room at the gym for the first time in a year, and again, it feels exactly the same to me as it did ages ago when I did that every day. Your body knows what to do, whether you are the type of person who perceives every little discomfort as evidence of some overall flaw or not. Okay, now *I'm* the one who is projecting. Maybe this isn't true for you (at least not by your dubious perceptions), but it is for normal folks like me and the others who are responding to this sub-topic.

I won't insist that acclimation plays no part in this stuff, because it might. If it does, it certainly doesn't make the life-or-death difference that you are attaching to all your claims.

Yes, but the Epic V7
is a fun and fast boat to paddle. It’s 17 feet long and weighs just six pounds more than your 11-footer.

I did a demo of the V7 and loved it. Am scheduled to paddle it tomorrow on Lake Huron and am going to be really bummed if the weather projection holds true (severe storms and 25 kts wind)

If you ever have a chance to demo the V7, don’t pass it up.

solo
Sara,

You can surely do more than 4 miles, but the summer heat down there can take anyone out…I’d save the longer trips for cooler weather…and skip the gatortade…the idea that any physical exercise requires carb-loaded gatorade is the product of the Quaker Oats Marketing Group(not science) who’s job it is to brainwash the public into thinking activity requires a ‘power drink’…pffht. We wonder why we have pudgy overweight kids running around school soccer fields…brainwashing them and their parents…early & often sells product. (period)

With respect to using your phone as a GPS…I wouldn’t do that…too unreliable and the battery time isn’t great when you (may) need it the most. Get a real (waterproof) GPS and learn how to use it. I recently picked up a Garmin Etrex 20…it’s a nice little unit. Cabelas has them for $150. If you need some help in route planning and mapping via free software on the web(that you can transfer to the Garmin)…let me know, I can get you started. It’s easy…and free.

With respect to going solo…again, maybe not a great idea. If you don’t have one already, you may want to consider a paddle with very bright (not white) yellow/orange paddle faces. Those colors moving as you paddle can make you much easier to see. White will get lost in the glare. You may also want to check your local meetup site (http://www.meetup.com), enter your location, a distance radius, and kayaking as the subject and you’ll get a number of local groups that kayak. You have lots of like-minded people around you…you just need to find them. Meetups can do that for you…free.

5 miles on black River
Sara, I’m 61 and just did 5 miles on Black River in MO. It was my 5th time on the water with my super slow 8’ kayak. I was paddling medium to hard for 2 hours, with two 10 minute breaks for hydration and a dunk in the water. It was 90 degrees and a good deal of humidity. My partner was in a 12’ SOT yak that easily slid past me and she hardly paddled. I paddled the whole time, while she sat and waited for me to catch up to her! (I bought my yak for leisurely lake fishing.) I’ll be getting something like her yak next year, as I really enjoyed the river run. At the end of the 5 miles, I was in good shape, but no argument against stopping. Loved it and will do it again! You can see an example of my paddling Black River on my Youtube video. The first 40 seconds of the video shows a very slow current, but picks up after that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4VXPUeFueI

Agree, good gosh
Serious bicyclists I know figured out the 50/50 mix of water and sports drink likes Gatorade decades ago. Not because some researchers said it, but because they discovered for themselves that highly sugared drinks hitting a really hot stomach felt bad and slowed them down. So it went to two cages on the bikes, one for straight water and one for the 50/50 mix. Then the the back hydrators, leaving one cage still filled with the 50/50 mix.

The only way that people successfully stay physically active as they get older is to pay attention to what their body needs and find a way to individually meet that. Anyone who thinks that some universal regimen is going to work is too young to experienced the morning after a hard day when you are seeing into six decades.

There’s no sugar that prevents heat exh
exhaustion.

Especially in anyone over 20.

Stick to what you know… wrapping yourselves in neoprene in colder climates… we get it you’re all horrified the water might have to touch you while you do whatever it is you’re doing.

And you are hallucinating
Had I wanted to say specifically that sugar prevents heat exhaustion, I have the language skills to do so. It is not a complicated sentence. And I do have a southern family and experience at dealing with excessive (inland) heat.

What you lack is the maturity to accept solutions that you haven’t pre-approved.

I can paddle

– Last Updated: Aug-09-15 2:28 PM EST –

10 miles in a 10' SOT before noon and after a decent breakfast.

Sometimes the wind is blowing, sometimes it is not. If I'm going with the tide I can paddle further, if against it might be a little less. I can paddle further on Monday's and Thursdays and really far in September if it is a leap year.

I hope this helps you determine how far you can paddle.

Castor River run
Sara, I kayaked another river, since doing the Black River and had loads of fun with it. It was only a 3 mile run, and brisk, but I used a 12’ yak and had lots of trouble with it. The extra length just got in the way for me. However, the other boater didn’t have any problems with her 12’ yak. However, she sort of drifts along, without much paddling. I, on the other hand, was always playing ‘catch up’ and going faster, which causes more problems for a newbie like myself. Here’s my Castor River video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTm4Z4iJoTE

Agree with Celia as
my cycling mentor started me drinking Gatorade/water 50/50 in the 80’s. Racing in Florida with heat indexes in the triple digits requires more than just water. Now that I’m older, I add Nuun tabs and sometimes take Enduralytes. I do carry food while cycling or paddling, but sometimes it’s just not enough. I also pretty much limit my rides to cyclocross on shaded plantation roads or paddle the spring-fed rivers this time of year to avoid overheating. I paddled 13 miles recently with heat index in upper 90’s but had no problem with heat.

no one has said that
Your act is getting tired. It doesn’t matter in which forum you exhibit it.

You are
a real piece of work, trying to keep this thread going with all these “Sports Drinks” peddlers…

There is no “sports drink” on the planet that can substitute for basic physical conditioning, nutrition, and required water hydration. It is a stop- gap measure to expect these sports drinks and so- called “energy bars” to save anyone’s butt in an extreme hot weather situation where they still require basic physical conditioning to function in the HOT SOUTHERN OR WESTERN SUN ON A BAY WITH NO SHADE. This negative effect of feeding unnecessary sugars is amplified by the metabolic challenges many people face as they age.

“The vast majority of the people who drink Gatorade… are not athletes.”

http://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/is-gatorade-bad-for-you

Keep your hat wet
You need one anyway for sun protection, so your hair is not going to end a paddle looking great. Dunk the hat in the water regularly and don’t mind if it drips down some - amazing how much keeping a wet head can help.

When I did more serious road biking, at least half of my water bottle ended up being poured over my head. I used a hydrator pack for most of what I drank and carried something like a couple of Nuun tablets in case I needed to ad that at a break.

more putting words in people’s mouths
Lying about what others say so that you can win an argument is a transparently juvenile approach.