How far can you comfortably paddle a

SUP board? Looks like it would be difficult to do more than a couple of hours.

Good discussion topic. Off Hawaii,
they race SUPs in moderately heavy seas for fairly long distances. But hours? I used to be able to run for an hour, but not two.

This guy would tell you…
a lot longer than a couple of hours.

http://www.davecornthwaite.com/

Ok, he’s probably the exception, but I’m relatively new to SUPing, and I don’t know why you couldn’t paddle a SUP similar to a canoe or kayak. I don’t think in most cases people paddle anything hour after hour without some breaks.

I read of
a lady who was going SUP the Ghanges River for a distance of 700 miles. As I recall she was doing this as the final activity in her life due to terminal cancer. I haven’t followed her story though so I’m not sure of the outcome.

as far as I wanted to
so far, anyway. Any longer and I would have exceeded the rental time limit and had to pay more money.

some dude
Just set the 24 hr distance record on one. Shane Perrin has done the MR340 and the Texas water safari on one. I would guess it is about as comfortable as it is in a boat.

As a rec paddler, seems like as long as you can stand up. For office dwellers that wouldn’t be much more than a few hours.

Ryan L.

well…
I can usually get a few hundred yards before I fall off.

thats

– Last Updated: Jul-03-12 5:16 PM EST –

a few hundred yards further than I can manage. I've tried SUP twice and can't even get on the board.

Maybe I should have stuck with diving-- I never had to worry about balance.

These
guys went 2000 miles in 90 days. A few 30+ mile days of paddling if I recall correctly. http://www.supthecoast.com/index.html

It’s like anything else, learn how to do it, do it enough and it gets easier.

If you can’t even get on the board or fall off after only a few hundred yards you need a more stable board. A few more inches of width makes a huge difference in stability. Unless you are profoundly “unbalanced” and uncoordinated, any normally athletic person should be able to get up and paddle in just a few minutes. That, of course is in flat water, surf and chop are an entirely different story.

would like to see him attempt that

– Last Updated: Jul-02-12 7:40 PM EST –

near some bogs/ponds I know of up in Maine. The blackflies and deerflies would eat him alive...you need the free hand to swat em' away, OTHW you're the paddler is also know as "lunch".
Enjoy watching SUPpers on the West Branch(Penob).

SDKC

– Last Updated: Jul-02-12 7:39 PM EST –

Someone did the SDKC on a SUP this year. 70+ miles down the missouri river with 25-30mph head winds. I suppose the board doesn't catch as much wind as a canoe or kayak so maybe that actually helped him. Don't remember his time.

Alan

The Adirondack 90-Miler
has had a SUP the past two years. He came in dead last place both years, but did finish within the allotted time. We call him “the stand up guy”. Last year we had high winds with large waves and whitecaps on the last day on Upper Saranac Lake, so much so that many canoe and kayak paddlers turned around and paddled back to the start when they reached the lake. But stand up guy made it through somehow.

Free hand?
How do you paddle that you have a free hand?

Alan

The board does not but the SUP-er does

– Last Updated: Jul-03-12 9:15 AM EST –

To paddle standing-up against wind is harder work than in a kayak for sure. I don't SUP much, but do it a few times a year when traveling. There I take my inflatable out. I also occasionally go out on some moving water and mild white water, which is fun to balance and try to cross-ferry and surf (but boy, does it hurt when you fall on top of a submerged rock)...

Downwind it's a blast, side to the wind not an issue, but head-on and I prefer to kneel.

I personally get bored and tired on the SUP after about an hour. In a kayak I can do considerably longer without much of an issue... Probably because my SUP is a relatively sluggish 12 foot inflatable and I use a heavy-ish 3-piece travel paddle (where my kayak or surfski move at considerably faster speeds and I'm the kind of guy who would rather be sitting than standing...)

But SUP is a nice exercise and is becoming hugely popular in the DC area. Some days there are almost as many SUP rentals as there are kayak rentals and the SUP classes I see are about the same size as kayak classes on the river.

I haven’t been out more than an hour
on mine at any one time, but I’m primarily using it for an exercise workout, not touring…

well …all but 1
Andy Corntwait paddled 2430 miles the entire length of the Mississippi last year…and I think a guy is currently paddling across the Atlantic on one.

I’m profoundly
"unbalanced". Will I be scarred for life?

is it?
now that there is a dedicated SUP board on P-Net, this might be off topic!

please do not misdirect traffic
Posts that belong on the SUP forum do NOT belong in the Discussion forum. Of all people, g2d, I would expect you to know that. If you’re going to play board police, please, get it right.