How far have you driven to pick up a kayak?

How far have you driven to pick up a new or used kayak? I am shopping around for a used kayak and everything seems far away (almost coastal around country). I guess patience is a virtue in shopping the used kayak market.

200 miles round trip.

280 miles -140 each way.

4 hours.

Round trip, 1200 miles.

I have also picked up kayaks from the Reno and eastern California areas, but I didn’t actually go there just to get them. I went there for other reasons and simply picked them up while I was there.
Those 2 trips were close to 2000 miles there and back.

1 Like

This thread might be of interest: "How Far Did you

One round trip of 2000 miles. Also one of 1600 miles, and one of about 1200.

2 Likes

Thanks, Doggy. Didnt catch that one before. My dilemma is drive 1700 miles one way for 700 buck used boat (in good shape) or stay home and pay over 2000 bucks for new one shipped.

Cost of fuel is?
Cost of your time is?
Wear and tear cost on your vehicle is?
Depreciation of vehicle from mileage?

My guess not worth it at all.

3400 miles :flushed::scream:

15 to 25 cents a mile on a leased vehicle.
.15 x 3400 = 510

1 Like

I have only done that for extremely good deals on rare boats I would otherwise have been unable to source. 1200 miles round trip to pick up a Feathercraft folding kayak I bought sight unseen from a seller who had delivered it (after I sent him payment) to my uncle in upstate NY until I could make the drive from Pittsburgh to pick it up (it was an excellent deal, as it turned out to be in pristine condition.) Most complex pickup was driving 1000 miles round trip to Muskegon, Michigan, to take the high-speed ferry for 6 hours RT across Lake Michigan for $125 to meet a seller at the dock in Milwaukee to pay him cash for a one of a kind custom made SOF Greenland replica kayak, which I then carried onto the ferry that same day to take back to my car parked at the ferry terminal, then drive back to Pittsburgh. I do have several cousins in Muskegon so I did combine the trip with visits and overnight stays with them.

I’ve delivered several canoes and kayaks to adjacent and distant states over the years for friends and strangers as part of trips I was going to take anyway (both of my vehicles can haul boats). A couple of those deliveries were arranged through contacts on this very forum, so it might be possible for you to find somebody willing to act as an intermediary to meet you half way or even bring it to your door (i have done both.) Even though it’s late in the year, there are people who make long journeys to join family during the coming holiday months.

As to expense, besides gas cost , 3400 miles would earn it an oil change, for one thing, and use up 10 to 20% of the life of your tires – so there’s another $150 to $300 at least. Then there are highway tolls, which, though slightly cheaper since EZpass has become fairly universal, are still not negligible. And you’d need to pay for overnight lodging unless you have friends or family en route. I think you are looking at $1000 to $1200 for this “bargain” beyond the buy price. If the $2000 for the new one INCLUDES delivery, that seems the much more practical option. Unless, like me, you enjoy road trips just for the heck of it.

3 Likes

Ergh, that’s a long drive! Where are you at and what kind of kayak are you looking for? I’m spoiled by living in an area where there are plentiful wealthy people who buy, don’t use, and then sell nice kayaks. But on the minus side, I bet my taxes are higher than yours! :wink:

1 Like

So far, a 7-hour round trip was the longest. It was for a kayak I wanted (LiquidLogic Remix XP9) at a price I could make a profit on resale ($300). The longest for a paddle was 3 1/2 hours round trip for a $100 Werner Powerhouse.

1 Like

Forgot about a 425 mi round trip, so that’s max for me rather than the 280 as I posted earlier.

1 Like

Ordered a craft from Turning Point. It will be 250 miles in the late winter (when it is built) for me.

2 Likes

I recently drove 240 miles round trip across Michigan. I had been looking for a specific type of kayak, and there was one that was very close to my spec for $300 used vs $1,900 new and delivered. It was totally worth it. I love road trips – I had done my homework and I was excited about the kayak the whole drive in both directions. My wife rode along and I was happy and chatty the whole way.

2 Likes

If I can get there and back for a good deal 8 hr is my max.

1 Like

I’ll pick it up then you can grab it at my house a week later. :laughing:

Enjoy your new hull.

250 miles one way and staying overnight in order to have a good test paddle, so about 1.5 days time wise. Worth it for us.

1 Like

From Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale for a Fenn Mako 6; about 580 miles Round trip.

From Tampa to Jacksonville for a Westside Wave; about 520 miles round trip.

1 Like

I am going to visit my Mom and Sister for Thanksgiving. Leaving Tuesday, and while I’m there I am going to pick up a kayak for my Brother, so I am going 1850 miles for this one and picking up a canoe for me while I am there too. Not actually going there for the kayak and canoe, but they are nearby my Sister’s home so I may as well bring them back.

3 Likes