How good is a Zaveral recreational

Please pole with something different!
As someone who is saving up for a Zav Rec paddle and trying to justify the cost, it hurts my soul to hear of using them to pole with.

If you need a rock basher, I can recommend a 9 inch wide Mohawk bent shaft.

Cracked Blade
I saw jjoven’s blade crack. It happened while pushing off from a sand bar after a rest stop. Sure surprised me after hearing how durable they are, but I believe Zaveral replaced his blade no charge. Perhaps there was some unseen defect from the factory.

defect would make sense
I would guess a defect would have been what was responsible for the Rec cracking. The only reason I have Zav Recs are for rock bashing. Other than that I use Zav Light paddles.

ditto that
The rec is too heavy for regular paddling. It wieghs a whopping 13 oz.!

I fixed it myself
as I considered pushing off to be abuse at the time. Maybe I should have sent it in.

But yes, it flexed, the blade bent and I could hear it crack.

Blade issues
I use Zav lights exclusively. I have had some issues with the bottom of the blade folding with a well used paddle. The blade will flex while paddling when this happens. An easy fix is to drill a few small holes, and fill them with resin. After that, the paddles are super tough. Keep in mind, the paddles I’m using are the lightweights. I have found ALL Zavs to be awesome paddles. If you are going to pole a lot, shovel gravel or chop wood with them, don’t expect any high quality, light graphite paddle to last forever.

To answer the question, I am 6’5"
and ordered the 51". I had a 54" bent shaft and didn’t like it. I paddled with baldpaddler’s 50 inch and loved it. Long arms, low boat seat.

er?
I had two paddles there. A 50 inch rec and a 51 inch power Serge.

Oh well if needed we can cut it down.

Both looked likew black paddles to
me.

the power surge
was 51 inches with the carbon graphite handle. wieghed about 8 oz. The Rec was 50 inches long had a black plastic handle and wieghed in at an enormous 13 oz. Both had graphite shafts.

51 might be short
at 6’5" String is way taller than me at 5’9" and i use a 50-51" depending on the canoe. But if he feels comfortable and his knob hand is not above his shoulder he will be fine. Peoples torso length vary and as long as the knob arm is level with the blade fully immersed, the paddle length is good.

Will Charlie be able to catch String with the new motor attached?

Bill

That question s/b the other way

– Last Updated: Apr-16-06 8:30 PM EST –

around. Charlie and Randy are race horses, literally.I tried to keep up with that Big Blue canoe for just a little while - and couldn't.
You guys are making me crazy about paddle length, but my experience with kayak paddles has been that everyone buys them too long to start and the length is dependant on the paddler, the boat , and the paddling style.
I'll let you know how this one works.

Think Sprint Car vs 24hr. Endurance race
Tandem vs solo they will leave you in the dust unless you have much solo race experience. Just paddle your pace and watch for the Big Blue to do the Big Bog. Red Cross Rand and Baldpaddler know how to intimidate the opposition. Big wake from the startline, lots of grunt and groan, cries of 'Ramming Speed"; it’s all psyche.

Surf their wake, smile for the cameras, keep paddling about 95 strokes a minute and in 4 or 5 hours they will either dump from being totally oxygen deprived, or cramp and slow way down.

Don’t let them scare you off; they get beat real regular by some really old guy named Jack and his trophy wife.

Bill

He, he
I am lurking here Bill.

We are secretely trying to come up with a Minn 4 team just so we can cut you guys off at the start.

I think I have Randy partly talked into it, but we need one more female.

You wouldn’t happen to have any takers would you?

cheers,

JackL

95 strokes a minute? 4 or 5 hours?
You people are nuts!

70 cruising,85 racine,95 rapid climbing
for short spurts. 95 strokes a minute for 4 or 5 hours?! No way! Maybe they should try just a little harder. Sounds like a good way for a self masochist to try suicide! Lots and lots of pain with the feeling of bliss and peace at the end. ;^)

:^)

Mick

Provide soldiers for the enemy??
Jack,

If I was to send you crew they would be asthmatic, arthritic, and over 300#. Then maybe I’d stand a chance of beating you.

We are hoping with Charlie aboard this year, we can take the Tickner Clan and make time on the all-male crews. Barb will be fully recovered from her back surgery, Gearwoman has recovered from the house fire and is gettng back into shape, if i can get more on-water time this summer we should knock a half-hour off last years time. And with Charlie we should net another 30 minute gain.

There is a new race on Long Lake this fall, the Long Boat Regatta on Long Lake. We are putting together our best from the Plaid Paddler Society. Vitamin Ray, the Darryls (also known as the Pushoffski brothers) and me.

Brian McDonnell had a MN-IV for sale on his website if you guys are serious. But you can’t have Charlie back this year.

Bill

I didn’t say i paddle 95 strokes/min
Just if you want to wear down the Baldpaddler and Red Cross Randy, paddling 95 strokes for 4-5 hours will do the trick. Actually 75 might do it, if they don’t smell beer at the finish line.

In a racing canoe with light weight paddles, a fast cadence is not hard to maintain. There is no heavy pull to each stroke, just a fast dig at the water to overcome frictional losses and keep your speed up. In the dreadnaught class where us recreational type compete, the high displacements require much more thrust. The paddle blades are bigger, the strokes more forcefull and the cadence lower. And the Vitamin I doses are higher, before, during and after each race.

This is where all those ounces count in a paddle. 90 Miles, 15+ hours at whatever pace you can sustain; and then a mad sprint at the finish of each day. 95 stroke pace for the last 1/2 mile to mile depending on how soon you can see or hear the finish line. It only hurts for a little while, you know everyone else hurts too, and the addiction draws you back for more.

Hang around Jack L and Charlie and it will get you too String. And its a great way to beat old age off for a while.

Bill

I’m all for delaying old age when it
gets here in 20 years.

Me too…
when it gets here in twenty years.

Now if only my back didn’t creak when I finish typing this and get up.

cheers,

jackL