How helpful are wet suits in cooler water

Thank u for having my back seriously nice to know someone got my back need all help I can get…LOL

1 Like

Gads, if only all new to the sport were as inquisitive as you!

2 Likes

Thank u for the kindness you have extended towards me.like I said only stupid question is question not asked I suppose

My 2 cents: I started off with a Hydroskin (thin neoprene) top and bottom. The bottom did fine but the top felt clammy and restrictive. I switched to the Hydroskin bottom with a dry jacket. Once I got the neck gasket loosened up I really appreciated ‘dry’ over ‘wet’. Later on I found a drysuit model that must have been discontinued 'cause they were selling it for about half the price of most models available. I bought the drysuit and haven’t regretted it.

Me too. I found Hydroskin totally incompatible with my needs. The shorts were OK but served little purpose and, like you, the top was either hot and sweaty or cold and clammy. Wind chill was brutal. I gave it away.

I tried hard to avoid spending the money on a drysuit but in the end it turned out to be the right answer for my paddling. It doesn’t fit the needs of all paddlers but for me it is the most comfortable solution and certainly the most safe.

2 Likes

Asking the right questions

1 Like

You have all been so very helpful and informative.glad there is a group like this I can come to and ask questions

Hi Jason. My 2 cents here…

If Air Temp + Water Temp is less than 120 you MUST wear at least a wet suit.

Good Luck!

Quoting the experts at PaddleSafely:

“You may have heard a ‘rule of thumb’ that when the air and water temperature added together are less than 120 degrees, you should be wearing a wetsuit. This rule is USELESS! If the air temperature is 85 degrees, but the water temperature is still 40 degrees, you need to be wearing a wetsuit or drysuit even though the combined temperature is 125.”

2 Likes

My rule of thumb revolves around water tempurate.

If water temp is under 60F, I am almost always wearing some form of thermal protection (wet suit or dry suit).

If water temp is above 70, I am not.

Between 60 and 70, I start taking into account air temp/weather, chance of flipping, my ability to self-rescue, how many other people are around who could rescue me should I need it, etc. to make a decision on thermal protection.

5 Likes

It works in more temperate areas of the company. For example here in Florida air and water temps are more closer together. If the air is 85 and the water is 40 then you are somewhere around the great lakes and things are a little more crazy. Nothing personal Rookie.:wink: Still if you are like the guy in the Everglades and end up floating around for days before some one rescues you…better be prepared with the immersion gear and boat re-entry training.

Sorry I can’t resist … today i recorded a 73.5 degree water temp in the river.

Still it seemed real cold the other day during our paddle.

Yes they make a difference. I’d say water temp of 60 degrees or colder, wear one. Don’t be fooled by the air temp, it’s the water that matters.
Pag

1 Like

Got my wetsuit from amazon just lil bit ago perfect fit…tried it out in cold shower works like suppose to

2 Likes

Thank you rookie you always there for me

You mentioned “40 to 50 degrees” for potential water temperatures. So I am kind of surprised at some of the advice you are getting.

A 2/3 wetsuit is NOT anywhere near sufficient for water under 60 degrees – even a 4/3 is not effective below 50 degrees. At those temperatures a dry suit is the only safe option. I have a 2/3 wetsuit and only use it in water 60 F and up. I also have a 4/3 and it is OK from 55 to 70 though I wear a paddle jacket over it in windy weather OR 3 mm Farmer Jane with a 3mm longsleeve neoprene jacket over it. Below 55 F water temp I only use the dry suit (or if I am going to be out in deep open water below 60 F). Below 50 I would have insulation layers under the dry suit. I am not a person who feels cold easily so these are reasonable measures.

You could get a 3 or 4 mm long sleeve wetsuit jacket to wear over your wet suit. But before you throw good money after bad, look at getting a dry suit. I bought a $1000 Kokatat Goretex drysuit in perfect condition used for $400. Deals can be found. What is your life worth anyway?

5 Likes

I agree 100%

Once again thank you for all of the wise sound wisdom that comes from experience only

There are other things to do than kayaking when it’s cold. Nobody has to go kayaking So if you don’t have the proper gear go do those other things. Don’t risk your life with improper gear because you can’t or don’t want to spend money on proper gear. The cost of proper gear goes down per mile paddled if you go out a lot. if you are an occasional cold water paddler it’s more and probably not worth it. There is a long list of things to look at besides air and water temps. You need experience and knowledge when weighting the factors. Some things are your skills, risk of weather change, solo or partner paddle, partners skills to assist you, distance from shore, currents & tides, your stamina, access to help if needed, ability to communicate for rescue, your bodies tolerance for cold water, your age also, the water temp (air temp means little to me), limits of all your gear combined, and your kayaks hull ability. It’s like a chain one bad link leads to failure which could mean death. I have a wetsuit I would only use it for 65° plus water. On Long Island the shallower bays can be colder than the ocean temps even to mid 30’s in end of February. Winter paddling is great and it cost to do it properly. Don’t let the price be your life.

1 Like

I’m a beginner, have had some lessons. I know how to get back in my kayak after a capsize, but I’m only proficient at the “cowboy” rescue. I’ve only practiced any rescues in warm water.

Personally I would never paddle anywhere with water temps that cold unless I were accompanied by my instructor or other very experienced kayakers I trusted to help get me back in my boat in the event of mishap, AND if who could loan me a drysuit. Too scary otherwise.

Just my two cents!