How important are lessons for beginners?

nice summary
You decide.

I started out in flat water, and that was the bee’s knees. Couldn’t have been happier. That was all I needed. A happy man. Then I discovered conditions. Then current. Then surf. Then the open coast! It gets more dangerous with each grade, but you get a better return. (Now I know what it’s like to be a rag doll thrown around! :slight_smile: But to feel like you’re comfotably paddling within your abilities at each stage, skills help. Instruction helped me focus on particular skills with someone who–for four hours–was focused on just me. Whatever you do, have a great time! It’s a great earth.

yeah more would be good
But I’m out in the surfski 99% of the time nowadays, a little more difficult to roll… :wink:

Should bring out the manitou 13 to the ocean one of these days and practice rolling in non-flatwater conditions, then go play in the surf somewhere.

-B

I’d say instruction is not important.
…for mountain biking, that is.

I took a couple of lessons, which helped a lot at the time. But I would have be able to get the same from books and videos easily had I bothered. So, those lessons were not “neccessary”, and were of only marginal “importance”.

And that’s an unbias opinion from someone who had tried it.

Would those who took kayaking lessons and found they would had done just as well without please speak up?

The difference? Almost all of us learn to ride a bike as children. Adopting the technique to do rocky/rooty steep hills on loose dirt is something we can easily pick up from books and videos. And tons of pratice do the rest.

Who amoungst us had learn the basic kayaking skills since childhood?

Beginners

– Last Updated: Jul-18-08 12:13 PM EST –

(I'm going to trust that you are asking a serious question!)

It appears that the original poster is a person who has just purchased his/her first boat and doesn't have any experience paddling. That's the "definition" of beginner that seems appropriate (and obvious and non-controversial) for this discussion.

===================

"I know what you mean, but I've seen way too many do way too well way too fast to lump them like that."

But even these "fast learners" can benefit from lessons/instruction/mentoring. If the original poster was one of these, he/she probably would not have asked the question. If you know that a person is a fast learner, it would be quite appropriate to give them other advice.

===================

"Why separate out "Greenland" like you do?" Many people have a problem with a "certification heavy" approach (eg, BCU). If people are bothered by this, they too have an option for lessons.

The Greendland community is interesting because they don't don't do the "certification thing" (ie, they don't provide certification) but they provide excellent instruction. (I think people can overlook these groups as a source of instruction.)

One local (mostly greenland types) group has a active teaching program. They are not at all cliquish about it.

"Mentoring works for all"

Mentoring is great. (And I include "mentoring" as being "lessons".)

===================

"Why draw so many lines and make so many distinctions? Seems limiting to me...'

I'm not drawing any lines. All I am trying to do is show there are many options for lessons.

Good point
"My point is that there are good instructors outside the BCU system and you shouldn’t just limit yourself to BCU certified coaches."

Yup, that’s a good point.

Well said (NM)

Not important at all… I learned…
How to drive a car @ 13 years old in the remote country of the upeer penninsula of Michigan, without any instruction… Unfortunately, the trees didn’t have any instruction to move either.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

Never turned over ?
It does not sound like she is doing much on the Ocean. If someone has never capsized ocean paddling then they certainly are not doing much of anything challenging. For folks who want to learn how to paddle on the ocean I recommend taking some lessons from skilled and experienced paddlers. I started teaching myself and the problem is you don’t know what you don’t know. This reminds me of the people who obliviously drive 45 mph down the emergency lane of the freeway and think they are good drivers. I’ve driven for 50 years … what can anyone teach me … yeah right.

Actually…
The BCU has undergone a tremendous change this year, and, after having done the new 4* training (I already hold the “old” 4* award)and sat in on a 2/3* Training, it’s definitely for the better.

There are two coaches in the US who can do a 5* assessment: Steve Maynard who is with SeaCliff Kayakers in Boothbay, and Jen Kleck out in San Diego. The other two BCU-centric places in Maine – Carpe Diem in Bar Harbor, and Maine Island Kayak on Peaks – can run trainings from 2* on up to 3*. Because the BCU Assessor requirements have changed, only a few coaches can do the 4* now, but this will be changing.

It is true that you need to go to either Wales or Scotland (although I have heard of an assessment done in Nova Scotia a few years back) for 5* assessment, but trainings have been held both in Maine and out on the West Coast through Body, Boat and Blade for a number of years.

As for finding a BCU coach on the “lower levels”: EMS offers classes. A quick glance at the Listed Coaches who hold BCU certifications on the BCU site (www.bcuna.org) shows certified coaches in many states and at a variety of levels, who are able to train, and in some cases assess.

I agree with NJPaddler. I think OP is more interested in learning how to paddle safely and efficiently, which is really the first step in kayaking. Stars and badges are just gravy.

Best answer so far! (nm)

Who would go out in 5’ breaking waves
Lots of folks…

Here’s a class from this Spring here in San Diego…

http://www.dlphotopets.com/KSurfing-Sean/index.html

didn’t
know that Steve Maynard held the coaches certification for 5*–good for him–but only two in the US is a bit on the slim side–What I’m really curious about is why did the BCU make the changes it did last year? Doesn’t bother me any but I do read a lot on the web about how irritated some people were when the changes were made. (guess they are into having the star awards and thought they would have to retake the assessment)

BCU Changes
It’s complicated as to why the changes were made in the UK which, in turn, affect what happens in the US. As I said before, the star awards are more comprehensive and probably will produce paddlers who think why and when they use strokes as opposed to having them for the sake of an award. The assessments – at least as far as I can see – and the same for the trainings are much more flexible than in the past, but certainly just as rigorous.

Everything has been bumped up a bit: 3* is the equivalent to the old 4* except in smaller conditions. The new 4* is closer to what is required in 5*, thus narrowing the gap between the two awards, but, again, in the “old” 4* (Force 4 wind/Sea State 4)conditions. The new 4* is also a leadership award, meaning you are actually “qualified” to lead a group instead of being a “competent member of the group”.

Right now someone who has the “old” 4* but who wants to take a 5* training has 3 years to do it in before they have to do the “new” 4* and assess successfully in order to either train or assess at that level.

Get right down to it, though, what difference does it make if you’ve got 4 stars, 5 stars or no stars? You’re still, hopefully, a competent paddler who enjoys paddling, and isn’t that what should matter?

absolutly right