how long does the kayaking season last

how long does it last
I always try to go out on New Years Day. I can find liquid water on one or two streams here but sometimes have to slide over some ice. Lake Ontario usually has slush ice and block of of ice but it is fun to slip through it. As others said, dress for it, let others know what you are doing and have fun.

After New Years Day, I usually put the boat away until the spring thaw.

Breaking Ice
I don’t know about where you live but here (Southern Illinois) paddle season ends when you paddle out into the ice and the boat rests up on the ice rather than breaking through.

as long as their liquid to paddle
provided you take precautions. immersion protection, spare set of warm clothes and the standard BCU flask of hot tea.

In the Northern Midwest (for me)

– Last Updated: Sep-08-05 10:35 AM EST –

It lasts from break-up of ice to freeze-up.

I try to paddle
year round. I just got my drysuit last winter but a nagging cold kept me from paddling most of the winter months. The coldest water I have been in is 39* and that was dressed in jeans in a river in March. “Don’t go white watering in a Rec. boat in the spring runoff” Unless you have a clue and are prepared !!! But I love paddling in snow storms. Not Nor’easters just a regular snow storm. The wind is usually dead calm,waters black,snow covering the pines white, and nobody around. That’s a nice paddle :slight_smile:

when i have to chop the ice
i call it quits. all depends on mother nature

Just ask…
the ones who invented the kayak when the season ends.

Tony

leave-peeper on the water!
Water stays warm till the end of this month. October is the month when water gets cold by the day! By November, you need to think carefully about what to wear and whatifs…

Color peaks around mid-October. Around here (lower NY), air and water temperature doesn’t differ much till late Oct. So dressing for warm isn’t that much of an issue during “leave-peeping season”. Yes, casual leave-peeping paddles are still quite doable.

Talon you are so right about
being out in the snow. It is very relaxing.

About 7 years
for me

Brian

Soflo

The kayaking season lasts until…

– Last Updated: Sep-17-05 9:19 PM EST –

...your kayak becomes an icicle.

Your Gatorade becomes a popsicle.

And your breath becomes a snotsicle.

Then -- end of kayak season.