How many boats did you go through to find the right one?

I know many people here have multiple boats for different purposes, but how many not-right-for-you boats did you buy, and then sell, or keep for another purpose, before finding your current ride?

1 Like

Iā€™ve sold a few that I didnā€™t realize how good they were till they were gone.
Fortunately I was able to buy a few of them backā€¦ :sunglasses:

There must be some country songs about getting your dog or truck backā€¦

6 Likes

My first canoe was an old Bluehole OCA Royalex tandem that I set up for solo whitewater. We also used it as a tandem lake canoe. But it was a heavy beast and didnā€™t work all that well for either solo whitewater or tandem flat water so I sold it and we bought a Wenonah Odyssey Kevlar big water expedition tandem and a Clipper (Dagger) Genesis Royalex solo for whitewater. Sold the Genesis when I moved across the country but kept the Odyssey and still use it for lake and big river travel.

But I also purchased a fast solo flat water cruiser, a tandem whitewater expedition canoe, a solo flat water expedition (partially decked) canoe, a solo freestyle canoe, and a solo tripping canoe. I sold the tandem expedition and solo expedition canoes because they didnā€™t get used much anymore.

Each of those canoes are the right canoe for the right conditions but If you can only have one canoe it should be a boat that fits the conditions that youā€™re most likely to paddle.

Tom

1 Like

One I bought several years ago and got rid of a few months ago: Epic V10 Sport - Iā€™m just not a ā€˜fastā€™ paddler. (I still have and infrequently use an Epic 18X).
Have been through a number of sea kayaks in my paddling life.
My current ā€˜right oneā€™ is the composite Petrel Play.
Not exactly a ā€˜realā€™ sea kayak at 14feet, but it does all I need it for - short daily paddles (10miles), weekend long paddles (45miles), surf, itā€™s a fun boat. I donā€™t think Iā€™d use it for long trips

No such thing the search never ends :smiley:

6 Likes

For kayaks, I found the right one on my second try (CD Caribou), which I still have 20+ years later. I added a BBK Recluse to the fleet, which I eventually sold, and went with a Valley Anas Acuta, which I wonā€™t sell. Compliments the 'Bou nicely.

As to canoes, my second one was an Old Town Penobscot 16, which is a great boat, but not quite what I wanted for solo paddling after a few years. Since my better half swears sheā€™ll never get into a canoe again, I got a Bell Yellowstone Solo. Very nice solo, but now Iā€™m leaning towards a Bell (Or Northstar if new) Magic. Demoed one and fell in love. $$$ is an issue at the moment, so the Yellowstone is my canoe for now. I really like it, but still feel there is one more step eventually to find what I wonā€™t sell (Yeah, right).

plenty of not so right boats, perception mirage k - seat to hard, not enough rocker (pearls out when surfing), Lettman k not conducive to hitting rocks (too much time patching), phoenix slipper k too much time patching and uncomfortable seat, flashback c too wet for class IV water, several perception and dagger c1s (all became too uncomfortable as I aged), wavesport y too wet a ride and too small a cockpit, pyranha shiva k too hard to roll and could not get a good fit, wavesport diesel k too hard to roll a little squirrelly in big water, mr adventurer canoe- too heavy, difficult to portage, taureau oc1 too tippy (had to raise saddle way up as knees went bad) and taureau was too short- couldnā€™t attain at all, made it difficult to catch features, paddling pools was a chore, Liquid logic XP k- too big, too heavy, to hard to get a good fit.
Current ride pyranha 12r k- no such thing as a perfect boat- itā€™s too heavy, even though it is 12 feet you still have work a bit to make it track straight but it does make the pools more enjoyable than my shorter boats, and the narrowness helps my roll.

Favorite boats overall: mr explorer c, mr m.e. c, perception gyramax c1, wavesport diesel k, worst boats: taurea oc1, slasher c1, a slalom racing kayak I bought used, shoshone raft, aire tributary duckie

I have owned 5 canoes. Three were outstanding boats , a Malecite , a Rapidfire, and a Voyager but Iā€™m apparently not a canoist. Two I built from plans. Sold one and donated one.
My first kayak was a Perception Acadia. It was just too small for me. My son has it now. My second was a Necky Zoar. It was a too big for me and I knew nothing about sizing cockpits.
I have had four WS Tarpons. Three were 160 . Two were the old style which guaranteed you would be sitting in a puddle all day. I still have one that is my go to for just about anything. It has gotten too heavy for me to comfortably handle but my grandson is a wannabe fisherman and loves it. I also had a 140 .
I was given a Pungo 120 but it was too small so a relative has it and I have a 140 which is a great boat for swamps and rivers.
Then I started on lighter weight boats. Had a Carribean 14 and have a Skimmer 14. I donā€™t like the way either paddle.
I also had A Stellar S18S surf ski. Iā€™m not a ski guy.
To be fair, I have two issues that have heavily contributed to going through so many boats. I am tall and heavy. I think if I were a bit shorter, there would have been fewer boats.
The other is a back that is an arthritic disaster. Even moderate comfort is hard to find in a kayak.
Finally, I have a newly acquired S14S that I havenā€™t paddled.
Any normal person reading this , and the other responses, probably thinks weā€™re nuts. As a vice boats arenā€™t too bad. A lot cheaper than cars or wimmin. Those are long term commitments.
I forgot my first canoe , a Sawyer tandem, and the first kayak, a Folbot Super built from a kit.

1 Like

Several is the answer. Thatā€™s why it is often recommended to buy used initially (so you can test and resell at approx the same price as you purchased) unless you just won a megaball lottery.

At least in my case, it was a matter of learning to paddle, learning how a kayak is supposed to fit, and figuring out what boat handling characteristics I wanted in the water conditions I normally paddle. You are lucky if you live near where there is a vibrant sea kayak community so you have more options to test drive.

1 Like

I have had about 7 canoes, one kayak which I built, 2 rafts, 2 drift boats and several sailboats.
I lucked out because my first canoe was a Sawyer Cruiser. I have only bought good canoes after that. Now I am down to one OT Guide 18 in cedar and canvas and one OT Canadienne in kevlar. Very different but excellent canoes. The search is over.

Lounging canoe-
OT Penobscot 164 plastic > Wenonah Jensen 17 fiberglass > Wenonah WWII frankenboat kevlar (still have this one)

Racing canoe
Wenonah Stock racer 16 > Crozier J200 (still have)

Surfskis
Epic V12 > Stellar SR gen 1 > Fenn XT gen 1 > Fenn Swordfish S (still have) > Ozone Vega (next on my list)

So my answer is 2, 3, and 4 (thinking about #5) boats to get to the end of the journey

I have changed kayaks (and sailboats) more because my needs have changed rather than because of the boat itself. I think the only kayak that I really wasnā€™t super fond of was my Valley Etain 17.1 - it was a little too small for me and very awkward to carry solo (unbalanced and heavy) so it just wasnā€™t user friendly.

Iā€™m very happy with the fleet I have now - a Dagger Stratos 12.5 S that I keep at the marina, and a Valley Gemini SP (rotomolded) and a Tiderace XCeed S. All are great kayaks that do what they are supposed to do very well. I probably wouldnā€™t own something like the Dagger except that my needs for a kayak to keep at the marina are very specific - a short boat (<13ā€™, to fit on a rack in my slip) that is capable of handling open water, since Tampa Bay and its 9 miles of fetch are right at the end of the channel.

I have a lot of boats around here, but less than Iā€™ve owned. . None of them are/were perfect. Somewhere around 15 1/2 over the last 50 years. One is still under construction.

Still looking for ā€œthe right oneā€.

1 Like

Iā€™m super happy with my little fleet of canoes, six solo and one tandem. About 20 have come and gone before them over several decades. There are a few more Iā€™d consider if a nice one popped up nearby used at a good price. This one is tempting, expensive yet a bargain.

What do you mean right ONE? For me, itā€™s right ONES.

6 Likes

ā€œIf you canā€™t be with the one you love, love the one youā€™re with.ā€

3 Likes

Hereā€™s more detail than you probably want to know. Over the past 20-25 years, I counted up that Iā€™ve owned 23 kayaks. I currently have 8 that are split between two houses. That leaves 15 that have moved on. Of those 15:

4 had things that I disliked enough that I was unlikely to use them any more
5 were sold in the process of upgrading and they also had minor things that I didnā€™t like
4 I liked but sold to upgrade none the less
2 were bought cheap just to resell and make a few bucks

I need to thin the current herd of 8 kayaks, but there are no clear losers among them. They all serve a purpose from paddling creeks, bashing rocks, serving wife or friends, and general touring/cruising.

4 Likes

On the contrary, those are exactly the details I not only want to know, but relish reading.

The 8 still in the herd better all step up their game lest they get thinned.

We have 3. Iā€™ve already sold 4 that we used to have. I want one more, plus I want to swap out one of the 3 we have. But thatā€™s just for NOW.

(Iā€™ve only been kayaking for a few years though so I need time to catch up.)

Wow, that is a beautiful boat!

I figure that each of the five kayaks Iā€™ve purchased was the right boat for me at that particular time. I learned from each one and am still learning from the last one (CD Prana LV).

The only one I disliked was my first, a Necky rec boat. I had never paddled before I bought it but was able to learn the fundamentals of the forward stroke as well as what I didnā€™t like, so it wasnā€™t a complete loss.

I still have three at home, enjoy paddling each one, and paddle two regularly. The 14-footer needs a backband replacement. Once thatā€™s done I can do some river paddling.

Now, if a 21" wide, 15-foot long skegged kevlar kayak came across my radar, Iā€™d defintely go for a demo paddle. :grin:

1 Like