How many of your kayaks are registered?

Same here. Six boats sometimes more
I pay 20 each for three years and get the one single sticker deal, no registration numbers on the outside of the boat. I don’t mind paying it, it also gets me a free pass in any other state to use launch facilities and public access.

Not required in NY
at least not yet. I have paddled in MA, VT, and Maine and I don’t think it’s required in those states either. Or if it is I didn’t get caught.

if there is
a way to extract money from tax-payers, you can bet your State or Federal government will find it. Where does the money go? Really?

Does the money help improve our water-way systems, clean up some of the litter. I’d really like to know. I live and paddle mostly in Up-State NY. Thanks.

Nowhere in New England
Yet.

But they keep trying.

I think the biggest problem they have with registration here is justifying the expense of enforcement vs. revenues.

Tommy

Florida…
Under 20’boat with no motor = no registration…

the fine is $50 per boat or per occupant
… depends on how generous they feel. Since you pay all that money, I’m guessing that you actually use fish commission ramps and/or state parks?

more on Ohio
that is if you like big black numbers on your boat.

Otherwise, a small registration sticker will cost you 20

Vermont has been looking at it
for a few years now. The power boaters and fisherman that actually pay for the boat ramps and access areas through licenses and other fees feel a bit put out when they show up and a half dozen inconsiderate kayakers are clogging up the ramp. So a change to the statue was proposed and voted down but it may not work out next time.

p

Add MD to the FREE list

That and the fact…
…that several New England state economiess depend heavily on revenues from tourism (VT, NH and ME, definitely). What are they going to do, fine every tourist that shows up with an unregistered paddlecraft? Scaring tourists away by forcing them to register their paddlecraft and/or fining them would cost the states more than the registration would bring in. All in all, it’s a really stupid, pointless and ultimately costly idea.

Fortunately, when such an idea was floated recently here in NH, the outcry was so immediate and loud that the official who suggested it backed down immediately. I’ve had a good email exchange with him and it seems like he understands the issue pretty well now.

New Jersey , where are you…
What do you pay and is there a difference between paddling someplace like lake hopatcong and the swamps going out to wildwood.

Not quite right
In PA, you need either a launch permit OR a registration with the PA fish and Boat commission. I believe at this point, they both cost the same. Either one is good for state parks, fish commission boat launches, the DWGNRA, etc. I think the only place a permit or registration is not required is if the body of water is totally private. Not sure how they would handle someone from out of state

To hunt, do you register each gun?
To fish, do you register each rod? Why do you see it as reasonable to have to register each boat when you can only use one boat at a time?

The good people of Michigan
nixed our registration requirement for canoes and kayaks some years ago.

I am of the opinion that since kayaking requires no state-sponsored infrastructure to support itself (e.g., boat ramps & access areas) nor is it environmentally offensive to the Great Lakes, it shouldn’t be necessary to charge a fee for the privelage of owning a human-powered watercraft.

That being said, the popularity of this activity has grown by leaps and bounds resulting in more and more inexperienced and ill-prepared paddlers getting themselves into trouble and requiring expensive rescue from the Coast Guard and others. I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before some politician in our state brings up the need to recover the costs of interrupting Darwinism at work in the form of yet another unrepresented and confiscatory tax spread amongst those who didn’t cause the problem in the first place.

So, you will never see my boat festooned with registration stickers, numbers, or any of that ugly crap; catch me if you can, DNR–you almost never go where I do anyway…

Hikers sometimes need rescue too . . .
but I’ll hike barefoot before I pay a fee to register my hiking boots. And I don’t see the logic to requiring registration for kayaks unless the same is required for cross country skiis, snowshoes, running shoes, mountain bikes – the list goes on and on. At some point, those of us who use wilderness areas may be required to step up and cover more of the costs of maintaining and protecting those areas, but I don’t see a registration fee (recently defeated here in Maine) as the way to do it.

OK, maybe hates us is a bit…
…strong, but the fact remains there does

appear to be a selective enforcement of the

laws: witness the underaged kids going as fast

as they can thorugh no wake zones while kayakers

on the shore have their registrations checked

by ODNR people with boats who could have latched

onto the kids.

And bear in mind that I used to be a Piqua, Ohio

street cop and all my sympathies are normally on

the side of the policemen.

What have you ever gotten from all the registration money you’ve paid? Ever hear of

a stolen boat (hand paddled craft) recovered

because of the registration? Ever hear of any

benefit to us come out of it?

It’s extortion, pure and simple.

boat registration
I did respond to your response of mine re boat

registration.

I’m astonished…
…how much moaning a $5-$10 fee causes. I have no problem paying such a ghastly amount considering items like “Dam Ahead! Take Out NOW!” signs, canoe/kayak put-in’s and their associated parking areas aren’t free to install and maintain.

Honestly, for the cost of a crappy 90 minute movie, popcorn and drink, I can legally use my boat on any public waterway in the state of Ohio for 3 years (not that I’d want to dodge barges and turds on the mighty Ohio itself).

Phreon

Are all those signs there for the
paddler, or for other boaters? Is there a sign when you are coming to a low water dam? Oh, you may not have those up there. Registration is mostly a load of crap. Paddlers may use boat ramps, but mostly don’t and don’t need to. In fact, I hate the ramps when in my kayak, concrete doesn’t do plastic much good. Do you really get anything for your money other than a few signs? Its just another tax. As for using ramps, in Texas, its best to avoid them if in a paddle craft, don’t want to get run over.

where I live boat are required to be

– Last Updated: Oct-24-05 5:55 AM EST –

registered. what's the problem? It's certainly not going to keep me off the water. And much less expensive than a 75.00 fine. Registered boats are less likely to be stolen and much easier to track if they are. And when ask there is no question who's boat I'm paddling, Mine registered and insured.

Oh and Yes all new firearms are registered, not with the State but with the Federal government