How much is a 20 year old Mad River Canoe really worth?

I’m Looking for a used mad river canoe, and a number of them are around 20 years old. I’ve found a kevlar Malecite for $1200, a couple royalex and fiberglass explorers around $900. Are these good prices? What should I look out for when buying older canoes?

I bought a Kevlar Malecite new for $1K from an outfitter who had not been able to sell it. Sold it for $650 a few years later BUT I don’t live in canoe country.

I didn’t fully answer your questions.
Look for structural damage that has been poorly repaired. And UV damage like fading and spider cracks.

I have a 16 ft 1997 royalex mad river in great shape. I will make u a good deal as I am old and not using it.

Leo

Mad River used wooden trim on all of their composite canoes and some of their Royalex boats. For a boat 20 years or more old, closely examine wood gunwales and trim. I would even ask the owner if I could unbolt the thwarts to examine the inner ends for rot. Often, the first areas of wood trim to rot are the hidden areas where water collects when the boat is inverted, like the inner ends of thwarts and the adjacent undersides of inwales, and the undersides of deck plates. If the canoe wood has been properly cared for and the boat properly stored, 20+ year old wood might be significantly better than what you can get these days. I have seen some very high quality straight grain ash gunwales on MRC canoes from the 1980s that you simply don’t find anymore.

Assuming the hull and wood is in excellent or at least very good condition, I would consider paying those prices. The original purchase price is rather immaterial. The most reasonable comparison is what a new canoe of comparable size and quality would cost you today. A Kevlar composite tandem canoe with wood trim is likely to cost $2500-3000 these days, and new Royalex canoes are not available at any price.

Thanks to all for the helpful info!

I have a line on garage kept, never-wet Special Edition Malecite from 2001 (click on the boat name to see the classified) that we’re hoping to find a home for. Carbon/Kevlar hull, white gel-coat, all wood trim, third seat and removable cherry yoke installed. Boat will be available for inspection and pickup in Chicago starting later this week. Feel free to touch base via PM if you’re interested.

@chicago_paddler said:
I have a line on garage kept, never-wet Special Edition Malecite from 2001 that we’re hoping to find a home for. Carbon/Kevlar hull, white gel-coat, all wood trim, third seat and removable cherry yoke installed. Boat will be available for inspection and pickup in Chicago starting later this week. Feel free to touch base via PM if you’re interested.

Post in the classifieds… People looking for a MR might not look in this thread once the discussion ebbs and the thread sinks