how much was your first canoe?

$150
a nicely used Old Town H2Pro. Its still my favorite playboat.

Its not what to avoid
Its what gets you on the water that you can afford (and lift).

I have a Pelican that, while heavy and slow, has helped get a lot of Boy Scouts and their parents on the water and acquire some confidence. Its not a bad fishing platform for a couple of guys either.

I have a Wenonah Vagabond for when I can get off by myself.

H

It was free!
My father and I found it at the dump when I was a kid and took it home. It had a hole on the side towards the stern about 8" in diameter which we filled with bondo. I have no idea what it was. 18’ long, wood/canvas, very narrow and fast. Had some great times on Long Island Sound with it. Can’t remember what happened to the boat. I think it was just left on the side of the house when the house was sold.

Old Town Kennebec
Old Town Kennebec 16’ tandem, used, $300, with PDFS and paddles.

$ 25.00 at 12 yrs old
Bought my first canoe at the tender age of 12. It was a chooper style fiberglass with about 6 cracks. It had been wrapped on Pine Creek, PA.

My dad and glassed all the cracks used body filler to smooth, painted it, and rebent and reattached the gunwales. My mom and Dad still use it. It’s not a bad canoe at all, it just weights about 85 lbs. at 15’ long.

MEAT

First and only, so far…
$400 for 18’ Grumman which included 1 beavertail paddle, 1 life vest, and a working gas powered trolling motor! Still love it.

About $800
I bought my first canoe about 14 years ago. I is an old town disco 160K rowing canoe. The price included oars and accessories. The cost to paddle it is now around a dollar a trip I think by the time is is retired the cost will be about 65 cents a trip.

Oars and paddles don’t last as long as the boat so I don’t add their replacement costs to the boats cost.

I know of absolutely nothing else that costs so little and gives so much pleasure.

13’ Coleman
Although I built a 17’ Folbot from a kit in ‘69 and had used several borrowed canoes, the first one I bought was a 13’ Coleman in the late 70’s. Got it at a Penny’s outlet for $69 as it didn’t have any seats or thwarts. Made thwarts from aluminum closet rods, put in a home-made foam saddle and it was ready to go. I’m guessing the total cost was less than $100.

My first “real” canoe was a fiberglass 17’ Black River Challenger I bought for about $300 from the factory back in '82 and used for the USCA canoe races at the World’s Fair in Knoxville. Boat was pretty fast for a 17 footer and got me two first place medals. Sold it 3 years later to a buddy who had borrowed it and then proceded to put a 6" hole in the hull. Money from that provided funds to build my first cedar strip.

Free and used.
>:^)

Mick

Under $300

– Last Updated: Oct-22-06 1:10 AM EST –

16 ft Alumacraft purchased new in 1958 with my after school job money. Still have it along side my Ranger Otter.

Used. Free.
http://home.cfl.rr.com/krowe2/canoe.jpg

I thought only people in PA were like
that.

Pelican
I own one of these and i have to say for the price it is worth it all the way. True they are a heavy beast if having to portage solo but it is one hell of a great fishing canoe. I have even had this canoe on lake michigan out about a mile with no problems…granted there wasnt 4 foot rollers but it handled just fine. This canoe has been down hundreds of miles of water and has served me well. I would buy another one in a second

Cool Doc
If your just going to let it sit there and slowly be claimed by the river itself. I’d be glad to rescue it and take it off your hands.

Looks like a decent canoe

BG

buying canoe
My first canoe was a well used Grumman bought off Landers on the Delaware. It was one rough canoe paid 70 dollars for it had it for many years and gave it to my friend that I owed a big favor. Recently I bought a canoe from Gander Mtn.14 ft for 350dollars. It suits me well as I mostly use it on lakes for fishing with my wife and daughter. Its pretty stable also.

Deliverance = $350
On a Friday night in 1972 (I was 14 yrs old) I went to the Drive-in (I walked in and sat next to a speaker) and saw the movie Deliverance. Before the end of the next day I depleted my savings and owned a 17ft Grumman Alum. Canoe. It is still hanging on the outside of my home. The movie had a profound effect on me :slight_smile:

Jay

$100 and a … for a 15’ Gruman in '76
$100 cash and a bag of some really nasty Mexican weed for a used and abused Grumman with genuine bullet holes above the water line.

The one thing that sticks in my mind is that it seemed like a really light boat at the time…

Coleman - $90
I got a $90 Coleman from a yard sale down the block. Came in handy as my son and other Boy Scouts learned to canoe…