How safe are the Malone “Sling” kayak hanging systems?

I already have two kayaks hung sideways against a wall in my basement in a Malone SlingTwo system. They’ve been fine and all, but they’re both plastic. Now I want to hang my new/used composite boat in the same manner on a different wall, and I’m feeling less… carefree about it. When I bought the SlingTwo I didn’t think anything of it, but now with my more fragile kayak, I’m worried. Advice? Thanks.

The sling itself should be plenty safe. Composite boats aren’t as fragile as people often think they are. The strap is plenty wide to spread the load of an empty boat on.

But being something that hangs freely from the top, if they are set in such a way that the boats could swing and get momentum and then hit something, that could be a different story. Especially if what they hit is a small impact point.

If you are worried, try to get your straps located on your kayak as close to the front and rear bulkheads as possible. The bulkheads are points of extra strength.

Paddling in midcoast Maine comes with rocks. Yeah, gelcoat over fiberglass type layups are a lot tougher than you may think.

I looked at this system and do have one question. The slings themselves look pretty loose, it looks like you place the slings around the kayak then lift it up OR, as in the demo, put one end thru a hooked up sling then lift the other end and clip that sling closed.

I have been solo since my husband passed away and did end a lot of solo loading before that because I felt the need to try and get a roll sooner than he did. I am heavier now but haven’t gotten any taller than 5’4" inches and heavier is still 135 pounds.

I would personally not want to be handling a sea kayak in a system that did not have two supports under the boat before I started moving it. We have a pulley system under the deck and even with that one end of a boat has occasionally made it to the dirt underneath before the other end, if I lose control of one of the lines. I would not personally want a system where that was a normal part of its operation for my sea kayaks.

Is there a reason that you could not go with one of the systems that offers rigid supports under the boat for the composite kayak?

Thanks, all. Yes, we have the slings at the bulkheads on our other two boats.

It would be hanging very close to the ground so I could easily lift each end up.

The only reason for this system vs rigid supports is space. We have limited floor space and a lot to store. If we can store the kayak on its side against the wall it helps. Right now it’s on the floor resting on foam cradles and it’s in the way.

I was thinking maybe I could hang it like this and still put the foam blocks under the boat, since I did plan to hang it only an inch or two off the ground.

That’d work, like the foam blocks idea.

Thanks. Think I’m going to give it a try.

Agreed. Sea kayaks are a bit more unwieldy. I built a home-made hoist, with pulleys, for hanging my kayak(s) in the garage, tight to the garage ceiling in the winter, and just below the open door in the summer.

I wheel my kayak into the garage, on its CTug and loop two straps under the kayak. I lift it enough to be off the floor, then remove the CTug. After I raise it into place, I tie off the lifting lines and then put two additional straps under the kayak. These safety straps are attached directly to the ceiling joists and take the strain off the pulley system.

I can’t imagine trying to get an 18’ kayak into one of those wall setups. I guess it’s doable…I just wouldn’t want to do it solo.

Usually I do not have to do it solo. However I would rest the kayak on the ground on foam blocks, then wrap each strap loosely around the bulkhead area. Then lift one side close to the cockpit, latch the strap, then, still holding the boat, go to other bulkhead and latch that strap. The boat, you understand, will end up hanging from the wall, but only a couple of inches off the ground.

Both my kayaks are stored over the winter in slings. Don’t know if they’re Malone slings, but I’ve not had any difficulty putting them in the slings solo using pretty much the same method you describe. One plus is the floor is carpeted and the wall has some sort of padding. And I always choose the lowest sling.

A sling system is fine for a composite kayak. As others have said, close to the bulkheads is best. A far as lifting one end and then the other, no problem. After all it is a common technique for emptying water out of a kayak when on a beach or performing a rescue when the kayak is much heavier.

I would be more concerned with plastic kayaks, not supported at the bulkheads, in a very hot garage where they might oilcan. Compost kayaks are pretty rigid.

Great, thanks everyone. Luckily our garage is not very hot and is mostly dark so I haven’t noticed the plastic kayaks getting too warm. But I’ll keep an eye on them.