How tight does a sprayskirt need to be?

nylon vs. neo
You can have both (combination neo deck nylon tunnel)

Yup
People kept asking if this sprayskirt would fit their kayak. After a while I started to suspect that certain inquirers were making the simple assumption, “If I have a spray skirt I can go out on the ocean safely.” Some of those folks had a kayak not meant for the ocean and no ocean experience or knowledge of using a sprayskirt. That made me want to learn more about this topic, and I have from this thread.

Weed my wips
I didn’t say, “I wonder if using a TIGHT sprayskirt gives some people an illusion of safety, when they don’t have ocean skills or they have the wrong kayak or wrong sprayskirt.” I wondered if using ANY sprayskirt gives uninformed people the impression they can head out on the high seas without experience. I wouldn’t say these folks are “not reasonable.” They are just not well informed.

Excellent article, thanks!!
I especially appreciate this part: “Each individual kayaker must decide what his or her priorities are when purchasing a new sprayskirt. The difficulty of the water you paddle, your ability level and confidence, the likelihood that you will need to make an emergency exit, your tolerance for leakage, your strength and body habitus, and, of course, your ability to pay are all important considerations.”

This article makes me sympathetic for manufacturers, who have to deal with so many frequently changing variables with each new kayak on the market.

“I wonder”…

– Last Updated: Sep-30-09 4:41 PM EST –

You "wonder" about it. And I gave my opinion.

You don't have to agree with my opinion. But if you still want to split hairs...

I don't believe skirt alone, whether it's too tight or not, cause false sense of safety. Period.

Ooooohhhh I seeeeeee

What boat?
It sounds like you may have moved from a larger cockpit boat to something leaner. The seat position closer to the back of the cockpit is more the norm in a lower profile sea kayak. You may find a number of people here with the same boat and an ability to recommend a skirt size/fit.

LOL as to the cold water - this is the time of year that folks who rent kayaks for evening paddles on local rivers suddenly realize why so many of us are using skirts, or waterproof pants and mukluks in canoes.

cold
Actually I bought an Immersion skirt to fit a Boreal Design Ellesmere (old style with rope skeg)

Normally I paddle an Eddyline Night Hawk but the Ellsmere is 4lbs lighter and 1 foot longer.

Both are listed for using the same sprayskirt, but in real life it doesn’t quite work out.

I’m going to order a Boreal Design sprayskirt for the Ellsmere.

The Imersion skirt should hold me over but it was mighty hard putting it on with cold hands today.

I keep having to remind myself that many people here actually live and paddle in warm water.

Here in New Engand it’s getting a bit nippy and colorful for the fall.

Yup - diff seat arrangements
As I recall there is a different approach to the seat placement in those two boats (I like the Ellesmere better).