How to Compare the Efficiency of Different Paddles

Good point. Very good point. Still, people like what they like. Sometimes it surprises me.

Many donā€™t want to spend 500 on a paddle and a boat nevermind a paddle.

Especially true if you donā€™t notice a big difference.

Actually, when I think about it, I donā€™t have a problem using the less expensive paddle over shorter distances at moderate speeds.

Not me I wouldnā€™t bother going unless at minimum CF shaft and fiberglass blades.

Good point.

The best way that Iā€™m aware of is to measure distance per stroke.
Too may variables occur over distance, but using how much distance youā€™re getting with each tick of the blade relative to a specific heart rate is a pretty surefire way to find your sweet spot.

There are a few on the market that would be helpful for you.

1 Like

How do people measure the distance that they are getting with each stroke? Please indicate where there is information about these devices.

Measure a length of bulkhead the see how many strokes you took to 100 yards. Then I could take a big paddle and glide between strokes. I would measure under sprint or at least a fast paddling cruise speed for me of about 4.5 mph which I can maintain for three hours steady. I could used house lots on my canal. They are 50ā€™, 75ā€™, or 100ā€™. Then check with the car and gps. Iā€™d video tape myself and count strokes while itā€™s on TV screen. They usually say 1 yard per stroke.

Mapmyrun GPS calls out every 1/4 mile if you want to set it that way. Just video tape yourself and count. I may try it tomorrow.

I would just take the paddles in question and paddleā€¦after several times paddling you will find yourself reaching for the paddle that feels the best and works the best for your needsā€¦you wont even really have to think about it. You will just grab your favorite and that is what you should use.

5 Likes

Most every experienced paddler carries a spare paddle. Having paddles that are optimized for different conditions just makes sense.

I donā€™t bother except in the winter. If I take an Werner Ikelos or Corryvreckan itā€™s fine for any situation Iā€™m in rough or calm. What conditions will they not work in? Other reason
to take one would be on the trip away from home.

Itā€™s not uncommon with racers.
Some GPS will allow you the ability to see a full download of informationā€“
DPSā€“Distance Per Stroke
Total Number of Strokes
Heart Rate etc

Vaaka and Motionize make trackers.
I actually have both.
If your interested Iā€™d probably sell as I donā€™t do much racing anymore.

Hereā€™s one idea of how it might look

3 Likes

I agree with roym. My hardest decision was the first paddle, because each successive paddle corrected a deficiency of the previous paddle. Now that you have multiple paddles, use one for a while then switch.

Comparing paddles of a specific style (high or low angle on flat water), I believe that any differences within a price class are so close, the speed is probably minor. The OP mentions efficiency. I assess efficiency by how the paddle flows seamlessly through the stroke cycle. Good paddles will all perform well at 3.5 mph. However, trip speed fluctuates depending on whether itā€™s a on lake, tidal, in river current, or influenced by waves and wind. Itā€™s when the paddle is pushed to extremes that the differences become most apparent and one blade out performs the other - the swing will be less tiring; the better blade will catch and exit more smoothly; it will reach a higher speed in the water without fluttering or generating turbulence (any flutter will create more tension in your grip). As roym mentioned, youā€™ll find that you gravitate to a particular paddle over time. A good paddle will make you feel more connected.

I trade off when Iā€™m with a guest paddler. The only controlled test I was able to do involved max speed during a 30 second interval. Over the course of a lake trip with a guest, I alternated between the Kalliste (643 sq cm) and Camano (650 sq cm). The Kalliste consistently hit a max speed .2 mph over the Camano, which has a 7 sq cm larger blade. Unfortunately, that doesnā€™t answer the question about efficiency at 3.5 mph.

I doubt you have the ability to measure .2 mph as you described.

Not saying itā€™s scientifically controlled, but believe itā€™s statistically significant. I did the comparison while paddling a lake loop with one of my grandaughters. I rarely paddle lakes and took the time to compare the two paddles, because there was not much wind and no current.

I pushed as hard as I could for 30 seconds to reach maximum speed. The Camano consistently peaked at 5.4 or 5.5 mph; the Kalliste could hit 5.7 mph every time. I rounded the difference to .2 mph. After each test, I paddled a few minutes, switched, and repeated each, five times. After 30 seconds of sustained paddling, I couldnā€™t hit the peak again without a break. Results were so consistent, I quit after 5 cycles. Whatā€™s interesting is that the Kalliste has less blade area. Over that short duration, I donā€™t think swing weight would factor in.

You could say, I tried harder with the Kalliste, because it cost twice a much. I canā€™t disagree, but also wouldnā€™t benefit from skewing the results. Try it out sometime using two different padddles. Iā€™m curious what you come up with.

Donā€™t think 30 seconds is enough on a gps. I measure my boats top speed in a canal with no tide or wind. Iā€™ll sprint them for a few minutes over a dozen times in both directions over many days. Endomondo was a good app because at each point I pick on course it tells me the the top speed. I could see the stretch I did top speed for a defined distance no just a spike.

Unfortunately, once you involve a human being with a subjective feeling of the effort they are putting in, you remove all possibility of arriving at a truly objective measurement of efficiency.

One measure, that will still involve a degree of subjectivity, is when your kayak is up to a comfortable cruising speed, with no wind, waves, or current, use a quality GPS and count how many paddle strokes it takes to go 0.1 miles.

2 Likes

I use a Garmin Colorado 400 with blue chart. I have the sampling rate at the highest setting. All I can say is that the speed changes every one or two seconds.

1 Like