How to Compare the Efficiency of Different Paddles

Checked the manual. Update rate is 1/second continuous. Accuracy: Velocity 0.1 meter second/steady state.

1 Like

Mountainpaddler: Thanks for introducing me to the Vaaka and Motionize paddling trackers. They are more than I need at this point, but some of the forum readers might be interested in them. Why donā€™t you start a new thread about them? What they do, and what you liked and didnā€™t like when using them to train for races.
I was particularly impressed by the Motionizeā€™s ability to provide on-the-water real-time audio coaching. Most of the web PR on them is several years old, suggesting the manufacturers didnā€™t survive, and my brief dig came up with conflicting evidence about whether they are still being sold. Garmin has been reporting ongoing app updates for the Vaaka on its compatible devices.

At those prices youā€™d think theyā€™d be variable pitch propellers.

1 Like

I want to get a GPS never make my mind on which one.

I cursed tbe shortcoming of the Colorao when I first bought it, but there is nothing like it on the market for a simple dashboard readout. Mine is getting dark and the rubber boot on the power switch has worn through. The next big wave will probably kill it, but I bought a second one when the model was closed out. This is an example of the screen from a trip with my nephew back in July. I sent him a photo of the screen for his log entry. Iā€™ve been using it since 2009 season. Rechargeable batteries last about two trips totaling 10 hours. Iā€™m still looking for factory reconditioned models.

1 Like

Your plan seems about as good as it can be within reasonable limits of time and $ invested. Statistically speaking, if major sources of measurement error (calorie burn, hrm, and gps) are random, theyā€™ll cancel each other out as the number of reps increases. Just guessing here, but six reps may not be sufficient (More paddling in the name science ā€¦ could be way worse!).
Good luck.

I just got a Velocitek Makai to check speed for the greenland paddles I have been making. I got it used because they are pricey. But it uses doubler and refreshes twice a second. You can see the screen 15ft away and can go 40 hours on a charge. The greatest thing for me is like this morning was out for 8 mile work out. Was playing around with various strokes in calm and minor wind with and against. It is priceless to watch .1 speed changes. Of course with a greenland paddle you can vary the angle, depth, lenght of stroke etcā€¦ But with a euro paddle I am guessing you have a stroke you like with your old paddle and boat. Like others have said take both paddles out and get your boat to 3.5 mph go a mile feel the effort switch paddles repeat etcā€¦ knowing exactly how fast you are going help alot in seeing which stroke techniques and paddle give you what speed. Today I adjusted leg extension on the surfski. Was surprised at the difference in speed.
Depending on conditions and length of trip you might use one paddle over the other.

Enjoy the ride
Tom

:sunglasses:

Difference in measuring speed vs. Garmin GPS?

Tomwh, great info, that looks like a good option for direct speed readout. My Garmin Colorado was $399 over 15 years ago, but I bought it on sale for $299. Itā€™s getting to the end of its life, but I have a closeout model that I bought from Bass Pro at least four years ago. Iā€™d be lost without it. I initially used a slit screen for the first 5 years, with a blue chart map on bottom, and speed, avg speed, distance, max speed and time on top. Unfortunately. The screen became to dim to see in sunlight. My paddling partner constantly misjudged speed thinking we were high/low, would drift 200 yards off the arrow straight GPS track and insist that she was on course. If you beached the boat to prevent drift, it would stop the clock so you could record the amount of rest periods you took while giving both total and moving times. There is no guesswork. If I wanted to mark a spot, Iā€™d do a 15 foot glitch in the track. It marks tidal and current datum points and gives time/levels. It showed speed peaks riding waves as well as the drop off in the trough. Just sitting would give drift from current or wind. The influence of tides, wind and current could be analyze easily. That little gadget doesnā€™t do all of that, but it give the important real time speed and average speed.

I started using a Samsung Health App with a kayak feature and GeoTrack. Both apps are set to work in the background with the phone housed in a waterproof Pelican Case, because I had issues with screen burn in on previous smart phones. You donā€™t know what youā€™re missing if you donā€™t have direct speed readout. I log every trip recording conditions, start/finish location, time, distance and speed, avg and max; boat, paddle, partners. Years later, itā€™s available to analyze.

PaddleDog52. Have you used that device? Iā€™d use it if the Colorado and the spare unit stop working. Iā€™m Garmin never released an upgraded model. My guess is there was no demand. I never knew anyone else who used one. Iā€™m still using a few of the original eight rechargeable AA batteries.

Correction: Iā€™m suprised Garmin never made a replacement for the Colorado.

No never used one.

Got yah. Probably linked it with you on that thread. Anyway thanks for the good info.

1 Like

non-military GPS has some inaccuracy built in on purpose. They donā€™t want some bad guys to be able to build an accurately striking droneā€¦ So the actual location of civilian devices differs by a few meters. With that, speed calculations are erroneous.

It is accurate enough for normal purposes. Like you can tell if you go 3 or 5 mph. but not accurate enough to give you accurate small speed differences. You likely still can tell which is faster, but not by how much. You think you are 0.3mph, faster, but it may only be 0.1 mph.

On open water you likely have no other disturbances that block the view to the satellites. On a wooded creek, that can add. Older GPS devices had many more problems. The newer ones at least get close to the accuracy the US government wants civilians to have.

Yes it will tell you your speed accurately for the purpose of the device. No, it is not accurate enough for scientific measurements.

I understand your explanation and fully agree; however, I believe thevdegree of error is not as great as you describe. I have to look again, but believe the manual states that accuracy is within 12 or 15 ft. Knowing that the commercial GPS is dumbed down to prevent adversaries from being beneficiaries of the technology, Iā€™ve compared it to the speedometer of my car. Speeds are consistent and I have checked the speedometer against a measured mile. Now you may say. How accurate is a measured mile or if you overinflate the tires itā€™ll throw off the reading. I get it. You can tell me that my watch isnā€™t accurate unless itā€™s calibrated to the Naval Observatory, or Greenwich. 100% in tune with you. The accuracy of GPS has improved since other countries have launched their own satellites. We are rapidly falling behind technology as we paddle and squabble and help finance and share knowledge with ā€œformerā€ adversaries who are not so ā€œformerā€. I believe might you might have to go foreign to get the advanced technology. Stoopid Amelicans! Iā€™m familiar with tech transfer and theft of technology. The presidents son is a broker. But until I get a better method, I stand by my observation - itā€™s a kayak, not a reentry I to the earthā€™s atmosphere. If I can hit 5.2 mph at peak exertion 5 times in a row, not 5.1 or 5.3, Iā€™m comfortable that it isnā€™t 5.0 or 5.4. If the other paddle consistently hits 5.0 mph, not 4.9 or 5.1 mph, Iā€™m comfortable that 5.0 is a pretty good wild and guess. Now that doesnā€™t mean it one isnā€™t actually 5.5, but if it is, is it safe to assume the other one could be 5.7, but Iā€™d bet my first born (not my 2nd born) that the second one isnā€™t the same or less. Maybe it would be 5.8, but not 5.4. Its relative, not finite. Iā€™ve questioned steel tape accuracy. I found it can be as close as half of a 64th. As verified by dial calipers. You just have to trust some things.

20210929_100713|281x500

Interesting. How would you evaluate other types of paddling situations than straight line? Iā€™m thinking that I rarely paddle from A to B in a straight line. Itā€™s more typical that I am in a twisty river with current or navigating coastal waters with shoals and ledges, or trying to photograph uncooperative wildlife. So I am using draw strokes, bow rudder, etc. My gut tells me that my Greenland paddle is more versatile and therefore more"efficient" because I get less tired using it, but Iā€™ve never tried to objectively compare it to my euro-style paddle. Kinda cool food for thought here.

1 way would be a pool test. place in pool and tie each end of so no forward or reverse. place a force scale in either line. then can record power of strokes., with angle and oar changes.

1 Like

Jarabas, no idea Amigo. No matter what we try, it will have a shortcoming. I like the idea of a pool test with a scale to measure the force, but that has limitations as well. As we discussed in other posts, the paddle should stay planted as the effort pulls the boat through the water, but of course the blade gives first (like a bullet from a gun, the lighter object moves first). So the paddle is shaped to flow smoothly through the water. A big paddle gives big power, but burns up energy reserves faster. The thinner paddle letā€™s you go aerobic. As one post put it, Kalliste
paddles fast but goes nowhere. I find exactly the same thing, but I favor that, because it letā€™s me do higher cadence - more propulsion with less fall of in tbe glide. How do we find the sweet? The best I can come up with is my plan to test max speed. The bigger paddle wins, but what does it do to stored energy. So much comes down to what you feel. I compared my 240 cm and 250 cm Kalliste at the same time as the thinner blade, but didnā€™t want to add confusion. Results were within .1 mph, to me thatā€™s insignificant. The real difference was how they felt. The 240 cm was easier on my shoulder, but the 250 cm felt better connected to the water and hand placement lets me control the leverage to focus on different muscle groups. Thatā€™s why I like low angle. Go the distance using core, then switch to biceps and shoulders, back to core, then push with the off hand to bring in triceps. The last 2 miles I burn every bit of energy remaining on full power. A paddleā€™s performance at maximum level is a key parameter for me. I couldnā€™t do it with a big blade. Itā€™s all part of the challenge. The best tool you can have is a real time readout of current and average. Keep the speed above average for as long as you can, and you win. All you have to do is gain .1 or .2 mph per trip. In ten trips, youā€™ll go from 3.5 mph to.4.5 mph. You ask, how is that possible? Pretend your life depends on it, youā€™ll be suprised how fast you can go. Thatā€™s why I say, it ainā€™t what I call fun, but is it challenging? Absolutely. Thatā€™s why not many people want to paddle with me.

So your top speed is?