How to keep straps from tangling?

Zip lock bags with zippers work
Personally I roll mine up and rubber band them but I’m kinda anal about things like that cause when I need them they are neally nice to use.

Daisy chain works fine for the long ones but don’t count on electricians around here to know how to undo them.

ziplock bags = mildew
Careful with that.

I just wind them up around my hand and put them on the passenger seat. No rubber bands, no nothin. They stay put till I come back. If I ever had a passenger, I suppose I’d need a better system.

You could switch to rope

– Last Updated: Mar-23-08 8:30 PM EST –

I use braided nylon rope (or something a lot like nylon - I honestly haven't even checked to see what it is) and a modified trucker's hitch (modified in that the loop is permanent so there's one less step when rigging. I just loop-up a few handfuls of rope, usually two ropes at a time, and toss the whole shootin'match (usually about six or eight ropes in all) on the front seat or the floor. When I pick 'em up later, they just "fall" loose from each other - never a tangle that won't come loose in the blink of an eye with a little wrist-flick. You can tie down your boat a lot quicker with this stuff too. Just another option...

Here’s what I tried
This was fun to see how people do things differently for something as basic as storing straps (yes, the sturdy, long ones from Thule and Yakima).

Well, yesterday I methodically gathered up several red netting bags that oranges come in. Then I loosely rolled up the straps from elbow to palm, and stuffed a set in each bag.

I used the straps in the netting bag today, and they were easy-access, and didn’t tangle. But putting them back in the bag when the paddle was over and I was in a hurry to clear up my gear and put everything away – well, I think it would be easier to stuff one strap per netting bag rather than two (as someone else suggested using the gear netting bags). No way they’ll tangle, and it’s quick.

And I did get a big coffee can to put the netted straps in. That’ll keep em from rolling around in my car trunk and trying to breed.

Thanks for the ideas!

What’s going on here
Bags, coils, jeez…just daisy chain them!!! Those who give you other suggestions just do not know how to daisychain. Like rolling, it’s super easy. Take 30 seconds and learn to daisychain and get on with life.

Take both buckles in hand. Make a loop with both straps together. Push a bight of both straps through loop, and continue pushing bights through each bight. Push final tails through final bight DONE DEAL. NO tangles, no stupid bags, no silly coils, straps, etc, that take time…

What is going on with people here? Daisy chain the darn straps and get on with it.

Rolling em
Is why Ness winds up waiting for me. roll em on the hand and clip em with one of those plastic fridge clips.

That way,they’re nice and ‘untangled’ when I need to rack the boat.

Plastic bags work great.Leave them
unzipped if you are worried anbout moisture. I just wad mine up and stuff them in the truck box. Pull them out, shake, and we’re in business,

Mesh bags
No need to worry about mildewing.

I use the technique someone above described of folding the strap in half, then folding again, and so on. I like to know where the metal buckle end is so that it doesn’t get whacked against, say, automotive sheet metal or glass.

Sounds like more work
Fold over a few times, tie in a loose knot. Done.

AAAAMEN
:smiley:

Whatever…that works too
just don’t get the bags and little straps. I can daisy chain two straps very quickly, and they play out freely. I think the issue is folk don’t know how. I know people watch me do it and think it’s weird hard stuff…Not

Mesh bag again
I just stuff in the bag, I also keep bungies, spare straps and some rope in the same bag. The bungie hooks always tangle up the straps. It takes me a minute to untangle. Would take me longer to roll them up nicely when I put them away.

Andy

triviata
Dude. I just throw them on the floor in the back seat. Rarely get knots. If I do, I untie them. BFD!!!

totally anal method…
It takes me about a little over a minute each to carefully wind the straps and them wrap the outer part like a noose with the remaining length of strap. They stay in nice little individual strap bundles. But best of all, I can grab ONE non-tangled strap and unwind it in seconds. Never any tangles. For me, this is effort well spent. I will take 5 minutes to prepare my gear as opposed to 15 minutes swearing at my gear while I try to figure out which straps are tangled and knotted to which other straps.

Of course, you could always ask some other schmuck to “please, hand me that strap,” thereby eliminating any effort on your part.

Daisy chain
I daisy chain my electrical cords. I don’t have enough room in my storage compartment for all of my straps if I don’t roll them up. If you take the buckle and 1’ of the other end of the strap in one hand and pull the strap through your other hand until you get to the center of the strap. Roll the strap up with the buckle to the outside. When the roll is tight feed the end of the strap through the buckle and backwards around the roll cinching it back in the buckle. This holds it tight without needing any ties, bags or rubber bands.

Tangling
Rope. VF

I must be doing something wrong
I don’t wrap 'em, roll 'em, fold 'em, daisy-chain 'em, bag 'em, bale 'em, or anything else 'em.

I just chuck 'em on a pile. But for some reason I can almost never them to tangle.

Please tell me what I’m doing wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Right…I don’t know how
Maybe someone can show me at the next camp-n-paddle.

Yup, you are doing something wrong
Go back and try harder to get them all tangled up.

clarion, you are driving too slowly
or carefully. Perhaps your suspension is too smooth. Try starting and stopping more suddenly, if that does not work, zig zag radically on a bumpy country road. ;))