How to Remove Fiberglass from Royalex

I have a MRC ME and am in the process of outfitting it for solo whitewater. The previous owner had it set up for solo and tandam paddling with paddling thwarts. He also mad his own tie-down by fiberglassing rope in loops to the hull. One of these tie downs is right where I have to put my pedestal and I need to know the best way to remove it from the hull. Are there solvents that will work, or should I use a sharp chisel (carefully) or other cutting implement? Any input would be appreciated.

Buy a set of cheap chisels
from a “Big Lots” type store. Those $3.99 taiwan type. Take the width that looks appropriate for the size of the resined area, rub the chisel vigorously on concrete like a sidewalk or rough garage floor, edge side of the chisel on the concrete that is, and remove the edge. This will give you a blunt yet still crisp working surface for chipping without cutting into the soft royalex. Using a leather mallet or your wifes picture hanging hammer (something light) gently start tapping away. I keep a set of cheapo’s for this sort of thing. I also have a set of cheapo drill bits that have been lightly drilled into the concrete lightly for plastic drilling (like plexiglass and boat plastics) without biting the plastic or pulling a crack in it.

Agree with above… since the bond
is probably not to too great anyway you might just at least once position the dulled implement where it will have the most lifting , shock loading effect and not hack into the boat or your hand and give it a good wack. You might be suprised to see the whole glob pop right off clean without all the dust. Many repairs / add ons are done in haste and do not get the proper prep… this would be good in ths case.

What would Barry do?
That’s what I ask when facing a problem like this. Get a good helping of Vynabond and smear it all over the fiberglass and surrounding region. Keep it wet; add more if necessary. Put it in the sun to warm. When the hull has nicely softened, give that rope loop a good tug and out it will come, fiberglass and all (especially all!). Alternatively, keep waiting and the whole mess will fall out through the bottom of the hull.

Hopefully you’ve read this note completely before attempting such tongue-in-cheek insanity.

Actually, some judicious heating of the fiberglass using a heat gun might help loosen things.