How to seal a bulkhead

Last trip I found water in my dryhatch. After testing the seal etc, I realized that the seal on my foam bulkhead had degraded with age (I am in Arizona where everything dries out) and though in good shape, was leaking.
What is recommended to reseal the foam bulkhead to the plastic boat.
I need to do this to both my Current Designs Whistler-145 and my Perception Carolina-145.

Thnaks.

On my manufacturer’s suggestion I’ve successfully used Lexel caulk. Wear rubber gloves to help apply and smooth the caulk along the seam and not try and apply it with just a caulk gun. The dealer tried this and made a pig’s breakfast of the job. You might want to check with your manufacturers to see if they recommend anything different.

These areas can sometimes be hard to see and reach. It sometimes helps to work with the boat both upright and then inverted on a pair of sawhorses or other stands. Although Lexel will cure under water, it’s best to have the seams as clean and dry as possible. Acetone helps with both. Let it dry thoroughly. Acetone is flammable and not good to breathe, so take appropriate precautions.

Be aware that Lexel, once cured is almost impossible to remove, so remove from any areas where you don’t want it promptly. Unlike silicone caulks, once opened Lexel does not immediately begin to harden in the entire tube. Properly sealed it is usable for a long time.

It’s not uncommon for foam bulkheads to begin to leak after a number of years, but easy to fix.

1 Like

I would use fiberglass tape and marine epoxy.

I’ve used Lexel several times on my Wilderness Systems poly boat’s bulkheads. Worked great. Follow rstevens15 excellent advice and you’ll be good.

2 Likes

Same here.