how to sit comfortably and effective

In each Pungo it seems as if I’m leaning back when I should be sitting up straight for comfort and effective paddling. Adjusting the back only seems to work for a little while. The day I stuck part of a pfd down behind my back was the day I was most comfortable.

Maybe there is no quick fix?

I’m considering cutting up a pool noodle and strap it high on the seat back to force me to sit forward.

Another thing I’ve thought of doing would be to load up a fanny pack and position it above my hips and behind me.

Perhaps there are special seats and I should be thinking about investing in one of those?

I bought the Forward Stroke and the Practical Paddler DVDs and plan to watch them again at least one more time. I think these were money well spent.

First I need to get myself seated properly and I’m not the most mobile person physically which is in part very real and in part I am beginning to think pscyhological.

Helpful suggestions will be welcome. thanks

do you have the phase 3 seat?
the newer wildy seat has every adjustment like that to make and keep you comfy…

you can spec. order that seat alone from them…

I think it is a phase three
The adjustments are there but I seem to need some additional support above my waist and in the back. I will play around with it some more this weekend. Thanks

Self support

Ultimately, you should be able to paddle with no back support at all. Yes, it’s something you have to get used to.

You want to use good posture to “stack” your spine so that you don’t need a lot of effort.

Anything beyond a low back band tends to inhibit the “torso rotation” stuff people keep talking about.

Back Band for Cars
I have real back problems and have used different types of support rolls, bands and pads to help my back in any kind of sitting situation.

Two things have worked really well for me. The inflatable belt from:

Back Releif Belt

po box 3179

Wallingford, CT 06494

This is a belt you clip around yourself and pump up to the right pressure. It stays in the proper place better than other back roll type devices I’ve used.

The other thing that helped me a lot is the book “Treat Your Own Back” This is the original book on back roll type devices and the exercises needed for immediate back releif and has other exercises for back strength. The back releif belt comes with a good book with most of the releif stretches in it, but if you want to know how these methods were developed then get this book too.

The best advice I can give you is to avoid sitting at all. Take up canoeing where you can kneel in a comfortable way with a properly adjusted seat and knee pads stuck to the hull. I’ve also found that rowing has helped my back a great deal, but I never start rowing if I already have lower back pain. Rowing helps some and hurts others so your results may vary.

Yoga

when I sit tall
My problem is a whole lot less if I can make myself sit up tall, like on a canoe bench with no back. This is why I was thinking of a properly placed cushion forcing me to sit up and not back would help.

For some reason in my yaks I end up in a leaning backward position with my too large middle out in front of me rather than sitting tall or forward on my seat. So the backband idea might help. I appreciate the book title tip also thanks.

I have to beat this back pain thing, I want to paddle. I want to get good at it even though I may not learn to roll until I’ve lost a hundred or more pounds and have a sea yak.

Thanks for all the help.

Sitting up
The yoga suggestion was a good one. If you can’t take a class then pick up a good book on different poses and work on your lower body.

Try stretching out your hamstrings. When they are too tight, it is easy to start leaning back to alleviate the strain.

Suz

Yoga
. . . and it will help you get in and out of your dry top too! (I really need to start again myself, I let things slide over the long winter and I’ve really felt it on first couple yaking outings.)

where are your footpegs?
I’m asking because I have an america and learned early on that having my legs stretched completely out/straight resulted in the same situation you’re experiencing. The knees should be bent some so you’re pushing yourself back and bracing yourself so you don’t slide forword.

foot pegs varied and yoga is a good idea
In both Pungos I have the same problems, have moved the foot pegs various places. Closer is clearly better but not too close. I’ve even put my old water aerobics floatation belt on to support my back - it works sort of.

Yoga is something I need to look into, for many reasons. I know they offer it at my health club. I need to be more flexible. It is almost as if I have somehow psychologically limited my range of motion. Perhaps when I was in real pain and couldn’t move I developed a stiffness that is now more mental than physical.

Hopefully the weather will clear up some by Saturday and I can experiment again.

Thanks