How to size sprayskirt for SOF

It’s a fish no?

2 Likes

That’s four fish.

1 Like

Update for anyone facing a similar issue:

I tried on 2 of the above-mentioned skirts, plus another model Brooks skirt, plus one that Sing kindly lent me, so 2 Brooks, 1 Reed, and 1 Snapdragon. None of them fits well! The Brooks both fit the cockpit tightly in the width and loosely in the length, but they both have thick bungees that popped off the rim super-easily. The thinner bungee on the Reed worked way better and it fits the cockpit pretty well but there’s way too much material over the cockpit where water will pool up. The Snapdragon ocean size was too small altogether for the cockpit. So I’ll use the Reed for Delmarva, in order to have something that won’t fly off at the slightest provocation, and then I’ll likely have to make one myself, or get one custom made, unless I luck out and find one there that someone wants to sell or trade.

The upside is that now I know what you all mean when you say it’s hard to figure out if a skirt will fit well without trying it, so it was a learning experience.

1 Like

Snapdragon charged very little extra to make custom. Make a pattern and sent it to Seals unless you like sewing.

I’m actually pretty good at sewing so sew I might. But I also might do as you suggested. We’ll see after I get some advice from the more experienced SOF folks.

Then you probably pay through the nose for material in small quantities.

I’ll see what the SOF folks suggest. I’m not averse to letting a pro do it.

So back in the day when I was “all in” with the Greenland style paddling, I bought yards of 3 mm neoprene to make a tuliq as well as a akuilisaq. Instead, I bought (and eventually sold) a Brooks tuliq. Now, I am mainly a paddle surfer and the neoprene sits unused… (No, I rather buy than try to make a wetsuit… LOL!).

If you are up for the sewing challenge, let me know. I’ll look for the neoprene in my shed.

sing

1 Like

Thanks, your shed is clearly a place full of magic and wonder! :wink:

I’ll update when I’m back from Delmarva, who knows what I might find there? Apparently some gear exchange goes on there.

DP: If I make it to Delmarva this weekend I will bring along my stash of spray skirts and we can see if I have one that might work. At this point I don’t know if I will make it because I my camper threw a “check engine” code last Friday so I dropped it off with the truck mechanic who had just inspected it and have yet to hear back from him what the computer told him on the code. It was running fine so it may just be an O2 sensor or something that won’t hold me back from using it for the trip. But if I don’t get it back by noon tomorrow I probably will have to cancel.

Thank you, and hope your camper gets fixed so you can attend!

Good news! The check engine light was just because the gas cap was not snugged down (of all things). So I have the camper back, loaded with boat and some gear and ready to roll once I get the rest of the kit packed and get my brother to the airport in the morning (he came down from upstate NY for a week to help me with some renovations at my rental property). .

I should get to Delmarva by 6:00 Thursday if I get on the road as planned by noon. See you there!

Excellent news! Looking forward to seeing you there!

Leaving now (noon Thursday) now that my petsitter has arrived. Grabbed all the assorted skirts so we can see if any fit your boat.

2 Likes