How to understand outriggers help!

I have never used an outrigger boat. How fast are they compared with kayaks, surfskis, racing boats, etc.

How do they perform in rough water, surf, following seas, beam seas?

In heavy wind does the outrigger add significantly to total windage?

When it capsizes, how hard to get back over, and empty the water?

Here is one I reviewed thanks to one of our frequent posters

http://www.savageriver.com/outrigger.html

Thanks in advance

Curious as heck

one opinion
i had a stingray oc-1 for about a year and sold it to get back into surfski.

i think it depends a bit what you are looking for and where you live. oc-1 are really designed for riding swell, particularly downwind swell. it was my experience that it was pretty slow on flat water, slower than my QCC 700 and considerably slower than my surfski. upwind was even worse- very slow. on the other hand, in the ocean, it was very fast and a lot of fun surfing swell.

if you live right on the water and don’t have to take it apart very much, that would be a huge plus. it wasn’t a huge hassle having to assemble it every time, but i do think it was going to damage the boat over time. they build them very light, and they are not boats to bang around.

the other thing to consider is whether there are other oc-1 paddlers. a big part of the sport is the whole “kanu culture” thing and the team- a lot of oc-1 paddlers also paddle oc-6. if you can get involved in that sort of thing, i think you would really like oc-1.

anyway, i liked it ok, but very much prefer using a double blade, and like the technique and balance challenges of a surfski. i guess i’m a double blade guy at heart. if you are more of a canoe person and want to get out on the ocean, this might be the perfect way for you to go.

andrew

Some windage but no lee or weather

– Last Updated: Jan-20-05 10:19 AM EST –

cocking really.

Only water is in foot well and minor amount comes right out upon (easily) flipping boat back over.

If you like something different once in a while or have regular canoe backround you will love the glide and reaction of OCs in the bumps.

Important to get a boat designed for your weight.... otherwise it will be a dog.

Designs vary alot and it will also pay to get a boat for the type of water you intend to paddle.

Many OCs designed for downwind, big water type conditions and will not be so much fun going upwind.

Newer generation boats are night and say better than older boats in terms of speed, paddler position and construction.

These newer boats can be paddled just as fast or faster than most ' long / skinny' non-race kayaks down AND upwind. Overall they lose some time to the surfskis still. At the very top levels of the sport this gap is closing.

Some good info @
y2kanu
ocpaddler
hawaiianh2o

oc-1s
i’ve got a huki V1-A and have enjoyed it. i won the fort lauderdale ocean challenge in my class last summer. they’re fast, fun and surf really well. some yakers say they’re faster than oc-1s, but i’ve seen little to prove that. skis are a little faster, but that gaps is closing, as was pointed out above. they’re tippy, but relatively easy to right and recover.

thanks… i enjoyed reading
your answer. I don’t canoe anymore but have wanted to try a outrigger, especially in a surf situation. A couple of years ago i was visiting Hawaii and talked to a few locals to try out their boats. They were paddling in flat water and it just didn’t work out that i could try out their boats. As a past open and closed canoeist living near the ocean, i have wonderred about solo outriggers and you answerred a few questions i had bouncing around in my head - thanks.

Way cool
I can see that if you know what you want to do and choose the boat that fits, they can be a really neat experience, I definitely need to get in one this summer. Thanks!