How waterproof is eVent?

Well there is one out there…

– Last Updated: Aug-09-09 1:43 PM EST –

Brian,
There is actually one eVent drysuit on the market.
NRS brought it out last year, and it is still listed in their 2009 catalog.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2562&deptid=1174

Personally I am not 'wild' about the Latex socks on this garment, but that is another matter.

I don't know anyone who owns one and I have yet to see a review on the long-term use of the NRS Mission Drysuit.

I did find one review of the NRS eVENT suit (scroll to the bottom of the page after going to the link below).

http://www.outdoorplay.com/store/Product.asp?DID=91&PDID=9&SKU=PDS_NSMIM

Personally I take reviews posted on Outdoorplay with a dose of skepticism for one reason. I have submitted several 'less than positive' gear reviews to Outdoorplay on products I have purchased and used. For some reason my reviews have never been posted on their website. Unlike reviews at REI I have never seen a negative gear review posted at Outdoorplay. Fancy that?

Safe paddling,
Joe

eVent Drytop and Scientific Honesty

– Last Updated: Aug-10-09 12:56 PM EST –

As reported earlier, NRS indeed has both an eVent drytop and an eVent drysuit.

I decided to try the drytop and wait on results from users with the drysuit.

I have used the drytop about 50 times, in Maine ocean medium rough conditions and in seriously rough conditions about 6 times, the rest being moderate conditions.

So far no leaks, and significantly more breathability. I am one of those folks, like my father who starts sweating before others even get too warm and I sweat copiously. So, I am a good one to see if the thing works.

The workmanship on the suit appears to me to be the equal of Kokatat. The warranty from NRS looks to be substantial although I do not know yet if it is the equal of Kokatat's.

Despite the reactions to some here on this board, I am a scientifically minded person who neither maligns nor naively accepts manufacturer claims.

My own layperson view of eVent is that IF they are able to do what Gore was not able to do, that is make a PTFE membrane be able to NOT get contaminated over years of use by simple occasional washing with common detergents and it can be as protected by fabric layers as any Gore product, then it will be an improvement.

I recently saw that GE, the parent company to eVent has spent several million dollars with a new and advanced technology to saturate the eVent membrane at the microscopic level with oleophobic properties a process they claim makes the ability to withstand contamination more complete and more durable and with longevity.

As a lay person what I interpret from this is that it is no easy feat to make the PTFE membrane keep its ability to not be contaminated without resorting to a PU layer like Gore had to.

So, despite some reactions, I too await testing and results to see if this checks out. That said, I am enjoying my drytop at the current moment.

In the interest of intellectual and scientific honesty, If ANY ANY problems crop up I will report them : > )

links

research and change in manufacture

http://www.feedthehabit.com/news/ground-wear-raises-the-bar-by-utilizing-event-fabrics/

increased use by REI

http://www.outdoorindustry.org/media.outdoor.php?news_id=2773

http://www.fibre2fashion.com/news/garment-company-news/newsdetails.aspx?news_id=68730

Who wants to be the guinea pig?

– Last Updated: Aug-11-09 7:58 AM EST –

I agree that the latex socks are lame considering the rest of the construction, but at least there's an eVent suit on the market. Who wants to be the first to try one? For 850 bucks, it's not going to be me! OK tideplay, here's your chance... ;-)

eVent socks?

– Last Updated: Aug-11-09 10:46 AM EST –

Kokatat has obviously been using Gore-tex socks on their upper end drysuits for some time. I have had no problems with the Gore-tex socks on my six year-old Meridian drysuit. You only needs to take moderate care with the socks when you are donning and removing the suit.

I wonder why NRS didn't spec their Mission suit with eVent socks?

NRS says
that they have had feedback from many paddlers that WB fabric socks get pin holes and cuts and are more difficult to replace. They also state correctly that having breathable socks is not functional as the shoes we wear do not breathe so there is really no benefit to breathable socks.

Below is what they state:

Over the years, high-end drysuits have evolved to include socks as part of their protective system. Socks are much easier to put on and take off than ankle gaskets. And socks on your suit allow you to wear warm, insulating synthetic and wool fabric socks next to the skin.

Drysuits use two types of socks: those made of waterproof fabric and those made of latex. Fabric socks are generally made of the same material as the suit. The waterproofness comes from a membrane or coating that is bonded to the woven layers. The fabric sock has two or more pieces that are stitched or glued together and these seams are covered with seam tape. The latex sock is formed over a foot shaped “mandrel” and is seamless.

The foot flexes many times during a day’s boating, scouting, portaging, etc. It’s also down there “where the rubber meets the road”, in the sand, muck and mud. Any of that grit that gets between the sock and wetshoe increases friction and wear. This flexure and friction puts a lot of stress on the sock, hence the area of the suit most exposed to water and most prone to leaking. Over time the membrane or coating in fabric socks breaks down and seam tape peels and loosens.

Seamless latex socks are tougher than fabric socks and less likely to leak. A hole or tear in one is easy to repair in the field and any facility that does latex gasket repair can replace them. They are also easy for the do-it-yourselfer to replace, using a simple step-by-step procedure.

Scott Hamstra, Sales Manager at Rutabaga Paddlesports in Madison, Wisconsin tried out a 2008 NRS Inversion Kayak Drysuit on a recent kayak surfing trip. He reported: “Easy to get into my neo boots, NRS ATB’s, however my ATB’s didn’t fit so well into the Necky Gliss I was paddling so I was forced to go without. I had to do some slogging through the surf after dumping in just the latex socks over sandy gravel and they held up wonderfully. In a pinch and with no other options I was pleasantly surprised to see no damage or wear on the socks after two surfing sessions and several wet exits followed by numerous demoralizing walks up the beach.”

Some say, “I want a fabric sock because it’s breathable, just like the rest of the suit.” The simple truth is that most of us wear some type of neoprene bootie or wetshoe over our drysuit sock. The shoe doesn’t breathe, therefore the sock can’t breathe. Top of the line breathable fabric fishing waders use non-breathable neoprene socks or built-in boots.

For comfort inside a latex sock, wear one or more fabric socks next to the skin. If the “sticky” outer surface of the sock makes putting your shoe on difficult, put a fabric or HydroSkin sock over the latex sock and your foot will slide in easier.

If your current wetshoes are roomy enough to accommodate a heavy, padded hiking sock, you can probably fit your drysuit sock inside. If not, a size larger shoe should take care of the extra layers.

Care of your latex socks is the same as for the neck and wrist gaskets. Rinse with clean water after each use. Dry thoroughly, inside and out, and regularly coat with 303 Aerospace Protectant. Store in a cool, dry area away from light.

With this care, your latex socks will give you many, many boating excursions with warm, dry feet. Everyone who switches to a drysuit with socks says, “I love my socks, I’ll never go back to ankle gaskets!”

Having used latex sock for years…
…I don’t have such a rosy impression of them. They will only last a few years at best and have to be replaced. They are bulky and don’t conform well to one’s feet. The stickiness on the inside and outside can be alleviated to some degree with talc, but once they get wet, it’s going to be difficult to put snug-fitting footwear over them.

There are plenty of durable waterproof fabrics based on Cordura or Taslan that could be used for socks, since breathability is probably not that important. I would love to try some of any type of fabric, but there aren’t any aftermarket replacements available. There has to be a better solution than latex.