How's water temp by you?

Here in canal 27° F 2 feet below surface ice starting to form. New Year’s day paddle in jeopardy.

Dunno what the water temperature is. The air temperature is keeping me inside indefinitely.

I did notice from the ice forecast that the ice is forming a lot faster than usual. It’s been calm and cold. The good part is that if the lakes freeze over there will be less snow to follow. The bad is that liquid to paddle in will be harder to find nearby, or I’ll have to go south to find it.

Blasted global warming!
I suspect our winter water temp stays around 50.

Water temp is down to a brutal 63. I’ve gone to my 1.5mm Hydroskin shirt & shorts to surf. Brrrr!

Now on the reef… Key Largo

Air Temperature (ATMP):	74.3 °F
Water Temperature (WTMP):	78.1 °F

Enoree river has dropped from 55F to 40F in the last 4 days, and the today’s Isle of Palms Pier sea temperature is 56 °F.
Statistics for 29 Dec (1981–2005) – mean: 69 °F.

What water? Lakes frozen
Ocean temps 40 Air temps below zero. Resulting Arctic sea smoke

13°F when I woke up this morning.

I’m not paddling any time soon.

I figured grayhawk or jack would weigh in and trump my paltry 63!

Lake Michigan water temp where I usually launch is 34F and the harbor is icy. Water is 34 degrees warmer than the current air temp.

Great Lakes went from 3% ice to about 10% in the last five days. All inland lakes are frozen. Rivers probably could be paddled, but I’d need a down filled drysuit in these air temps.

@Seadddict
With water so warm, all you need is a Speedo. :slight_smile:

Iowa water is ice. Air temp was 1 to -13. We came home it’s inside 71, outside 45, and typically 55 water. … and I’m cold.

Well staying in the heated pool till spring !!

here in Connecticut (Long Island sound)

Air Temperature: 9°F
Water Temperature: 38°F

I don’t know what the water temperature is, but yesterday the air was 54 degrees with no sunshine. Today the sun should be out and maybe it will warm up. No solid water around here.

USGS report near the usual launch site I use on the Monongahela River (10 minutes from home) is 33.5 F. Air temp has climbed from 5 F overnight to a relatively balmy 20 F.

But while looking down on the river in the swirling snow from the bridge I was driving over on the way to the hardware store, I still wished I was out on it in my boat. But then I’m one of those nut-cases that used to go snow-shoe backpacking in mid-winter.

@willowleaf said:
USGS report near the usual launch site I use on the Monongahela River (10 minutes from home) is 33.5 F. Air temp has climbed from 5 F overnight to a relatively balmy 20 F.

But while looking down on the river in the swirling snow from the bridge I was driving over on the way to the hardware store, I still wished I was out on it in my boat. But then I’m one of those nut-cases that used to go snow-shoe backpacking in mid-winter.

I always wanted to snow shoe. Never lived where I could.

For 38 years 2 of my brother-in-laws, a mutual friend, and I have done on average a 5 day and 4 night backpacking trip In the Smokies/ AT/ and other high mountain sections of the southern Appalachian between Christmas and New Years. I haven’t snow-shoed but have hiked in knee deep snow. Your not alone. This year I didn’t go with them as our 9 MO granddaughter is visiting right now from Arkansas.

Shoeing on it is better than shoveling it.

I cannot measure the water temperature here. The hockey players go berserk when I chop a hole in their ice.

Thermometer out my back door currently indicates -20°C (-4°F). I’ve been watching the ice reports and paddling up here is not likely in the near future.