Hullavator cradle concern

Update: although I haven’t seen any unexpected scratches on the hull, I used some Loctite adhesive to glue some closed cell foam to the black plastic parts in the cradle. That was a year ago and the foam is peeling off. Turns out the extreme heat of late probably melted the adhesive or cause the foam to contract and break the bond. The reason matters not, I suppose, but the pads are peeling off.

I’ll need a solution for removing the old adhesive, since I don’t think I can spray more on top of it and get a good bond. The Loctite website says cooking oil, vinegar or even vodka will dissolve the glue.

Before I go making a giant mess…does anyone have a proven method for removing dried spray on adhesive, like Loctite?

Of course second question is: Now that I know Loctite isn’t the right product, what should I use next time to glue some foam to the rack?

I used double sided mounting tape to affix 1/4” neoprene to the plastic. That was a few years ago. They haven’t come loose.

My Hullavators are on my car only when I’m carrying a boat. They spend the rest of the time inside.

What adhesive did you use? That’s how I placed mine, using Loctite spray adhesive. Lasted a year then peeled up. I’ve been spending the last hour trying to dissolve the residual glue to try again.

No, don’t use spray adhesive stuff.

Go to the hardware store and ask for contact cement. The same stuff they adhere formica countertops with. Use a brush. Apply to both clean surfaces. NO Dust. No residual glue. Let dry. Put both treated surfaces together. Apply pressure. Try “Weldwood Contact Cement”

1 Like

And position it correctly the first time. No do-overs!

Closed cell foam like the stuff used for knee braces under the deck, correct?

It is what I used. It was leftover from builds.

1 Like

well I’d use Vodka because if it doesn’t work you could drink the test and feel good anyway :grinning:

I have seen sea kayaks loaded hull up on a hullavator.