Hullavator-struggling on a low sedan

I recently installed a hullavator on my Honda Accord. My problem is that the car is so low that when I load the kayak, I have to crawl under and search for the release levers, because they are so low to the ground, and then it’s very awkward the first few seconds I pull them pull them. I’d be curious to hear from other small car owners? It looks like this: Thule Hullavator demo at EP/BC Martinsburg, WV - YouTube

I have a Honda Fit and a Hullavator. While I do have to squat to get to the levers, it’s not a big deal.

Could my itty-bitty Fit be taller than your Accord?

How do you like the Fit? Considering purchasing a used one. (Sorry for the thread hijack!)

@Doggy_Paddler
It’s been a wonderful vehicle. Took delivery late December 2015 on the 2016 six-speed. Get great mileage, averaging 41-42 and sometimes getting up to 48 mpg. Versatile interior for cargo and with a good set of four snow tires, handles nicely in snow and ice.

Sorry, another temporary thread hijack. My wife has a 2020 Fit. Same general comments as Rookie. Her’s has the auto transmission (CVT) and averages around 38 MPG in suburban driving. Front legroom is weak though if you’re taller.

FYI, Thule fit kit 141751 is the one specified for 480 Traverse feet. That’s discontinued so no longer listed in the fit guide. Fit kit 145152 is specified for the new EVO feet. Those numbers apply to the last generation Fit 2015-2020.

Thanks, Rookie, that’s great to know! And thanks also to Wolf.

Do you really need a Hullavator on that low of a car? Unless you have a very heavy kayak, that’s a lot of money to spend.

It’s not a matter of the car, it’s a matter of the person’s strength- like you said, the weight/length of the kayak.
I am a small woman with a 16.5 ft fathom, and I’ve used a Thule slipstream for about 20 years. I think if you’re a big strong person, you can do the sliding up on the slipstream easily, but for me it was always a struggle.Twice my kayak slid off, while i was putting it on, and I’m the kind of person who will jump in front of the kayak to cushion it! I have scars on my nose and my shoulder and back pains from that nuttiness! Also the kayak knocked off my side mirror.
I kayak in the winter, and when a cold kayak falls, it shatters. Also it’s not good for a kayak to rest on the bow or stern, while you lift the other end up, to slide up.
I love my hullavator, (why did I wait so long?) and I’m getting used to reaching way down to find those release handles.

1 Like

Why not use a well engineered product that makes loading a boat to the roof of your vehicle easy, efficient and quick? No boat wrestling with the Hullavator; just load, lift, tie down and you’re ready to go.

Lots of money is spent on quality light-weight paddles for the same reason: efficiency. :relaxed:

1 Like