Hurricane Nigel Swells - Rolling In

Taking a fish storm track, Nigel is about the latitude of New England but farther out in the Atlantic. MassBay is getting 2.5’ @ 14 second intervals. Bright sunshine but a touch of fall in the air, with a north breeze and air temp in the mid-50s.

Should be uncrowded out on the break today. Summer beachgoers have increasingly dwindled in numbers since Labor Day.

sing

Is this nantasket beach? Was there couple hours ago

Yes! How was it!? Buoy is now registering 2.3’ @16 seconds (rare to get inervals longer than 12-13 seconds in New England). I am wrapping up some work tasks and heading out there soon!

sing

Still seeing decent waves on the cam. It’s a β€œGO.”

sing

Fun waves! What these lacked in size, were made up by the energy and zip therein. True groundswells with 14-16 second intervals. The impact zone was stretched out. Catch a rip, i was get out with dealing with one or two breakings. I did get caught by one breaker just before getting to the outside. It was like a whole body slap that sent me backsurfing all the way back to the beach. Other than that, plenty of windows to have a relatively easy paddle out.

Mahalo!

sing

1 Like

Ugh. Unfortunately, Nigel took some souls and others were rescued from numerous rip current situations in New England:

Post Labor Day, lifeguards are no longer assigned to the cover the various beaches and reservations. While a lot of surfers know and can recognize the rip currents, swimmers are less aware and are on their own.

sing

Whenever I hear the name Nigel I always think of Dennis, Foster, Law…

1 Like

Yup… And, he is now headed back to the British Isles.

sing

Fast moving Nigel swells β€” just ONE ride:

sing

Another rescue of rip current victims by surfers:

sing