Hurricane Tracer

In response to my previous thread, I got an email that was not favorable to the Tracer. I’ve got a tentative order in (told the dealer to go ahead and order the Capella and Tracer) and the email gave me pause.

I’m a little concerned about the Tracer being a worthy boat. While I’m sure it will be fine for GF and me to learn on I don’t want to outgrow it if it is too close to the “rec boat” end of the scale. I don’t think it is. If any Tracer owners or others with experience with this boat care to chime in I would appreciate it. I’ll probably stick with my choices but don’t want to waste a bunch of money on a boat that will have to be upgraded too soon.

Thanks.

3hrTour

I like it…
The tracer is a nice boat, and is not even close to a rec boat. I ve been paddling my for about a year and I have no problems with it. It wasn’t my first choice in kayaks but it does a good job for the price. But, I must say I do love my Impex Currituck. But it was twice the price!

Best thing to do is get on the water with the tracer and see how it feels. If the dealer won’t help you out let me know I’ll see if I can find one.

Bought and (half) paid for
Glad you liked it as I just bought one!

I swung by the dealer and they had already ordered my boats. The Capella ships tomorrow and the Tracer should follow shortly.

While GF and I have paddled the Tracer at the demo and were comfortable in it, I had(have) concerns about it meeting our needs as we develop skills. Too late now and it will meet our needs for sometime anyway.

3hrTour

TOUR -LUV THE HANDLE…
We have an older Tracer, and it’s surely not a rec boat. Indeed, it’s a very nice, responseive, relatively quick boat.

However, Sally’s “T” has neither a rudder nor a skeg, and is damn twitchy when it comes to holding a line -it really needs a skeg to track well. A friend of ours took it for a spin and almost immediately shouted “I feel like I’m going in circles!”

You need good paddling technique to hold a line in the T sans skeg or rudder -but that’s about the only drawback we can see. We’re looking into some skeg & rudder options, because it’s just too nice a boat (and we got it at a pretty good price, too) to let go. And a little more work on improving our forward stroke will help too.

It should be a nice boat for you two to

PADDLE ON!

-Fank in Miami

I love mine
I have had a Tracer for about a year. It is NOT a rec boat. There are two reviews in the product section (one is mine) I like the boat very much. It is a bit of a bear to keep on line without the skeg. It fact, DO NOT buy it if it has no skeg or rudder. I was out Sunday went about 8 mile on a lake and had the skeg up about 50% of the time but it takes good concentration and technique. I have been told it tracks better if you paddle closer to the boat (steeper angle) and that seemed to work. Also use told a shorter paddles helps.

Good luck when you get the hang of it you will love it, especially when caring it to the water (46#).

,just curious…
…what were the unfavorable remarks?

Hurricane was early to enter the thermoplastic arena, and has developed a good reputation.

PU -DITTO DWAUGH & SF’S COMMENTS REDUX,
There’s a “Product Reviews” link to the left, but here’s an eaven easier and more direct link:

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=1506

ANd here’s a synopsis abstracting the salient negative point:

1. …I have the skeg version and the tracking is good but not great, but that may be my style…

…DANGER, DANGER, DANGER, WILL ROBINSON. (Used boat caution)

If you are thinking of a used Tracer make sure it has a skeg or rudder. The first boats that were built (prototypes?) had no skeg, no rudder and more rocker. You really had to concentrate and have excellent paddling skills to keep from going large in (sic) circles…

2. …The novice may find it tippy, and challenging to paddle a straight heading… …Get used to the boat’s directional sensitivity and center of balance and the payoff is great maneuverability and lightning speed. The boat rolls and edges like a dream…

3)…it’s surely not a rec boat. Indeed, it’s a very nice, responseive, relatively quick boat…

…Sally’s “T” has neither a rudder nor a skeg, and is damn twitchy when it comes to holding a line -it really needs a skeg to track well. A friend of ours took it for a spin and almost immediately shouted “I feel like I’m going in circles!”

You need good paddling technique to hold a line in the T sans skeg or rudder -but that’s about the only drawback we can see…

These comments recapitulate or duplicate ghose noted above.

As we said, in the absence (older boats) of a rudder (shudder) or skeg (now standard), you’ll need more work on your forward stroke to maore happily

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

Tracer . . .
the pluses out weight the minises. You’ll be glad you bought it

Thanks
Thanks to all the responses. Until we get out and really paddle it, all I can do is question my decision. I did notice it to be very susceptible to weathercocking on the demo (skeg was jammed on the demo so hoped it would compensate).

Right now I can’t wait for my boats to come in and to get out on the water!

3hrTour