Hybrid Surfing/Touring boat...

Hi all

I’ve been away from kayaking for roughly 13 years - we somehow had 4 kids and I got preoccupied. Now that they are all older I’m looking to get back on the water. When I first got into kayaking I purchased Ocean Kayaks attempt at a hybrid boat, supposedly good in surf and flatwater. It weighed a ton, and I’m not sure if I just made it work or if it was designed well but I could paddle lakes and back bays or get out for a day of surfing with no problem, I even had it in 8-10 footers off the North Carolina coast and in a post-hurricane surf that might have hit 12 foot off of Cape May. (Best day in my boat ever has the Jersey shore was filled with guys in river boats and sea kayaks just putting on a show for the sunbathers. I even got my pig of a boat to 360 a couple of times (not rolling but bow to stern circles in a wave). I consider myself very experienced though rusty, I have pretty much paddled every good surfing spot from Newport RI down to Cape Hatteras. Have done quite a few multi-day trips, Assateague, Florida Keys, Hatteras.

Anyway, older, slower, fatter and less daring than in my youth I am looking for something (not a sit on top) that I can play in some surf or do a leisurely paddle on flat water with kids or wife. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Also looking to do a Saranac River paddle with an overnight campout so any advice for that trip would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Love My Dagger Stratos 14.5L

P&H Delphin is worth a look.

Dagger Stratos, Dagger Alchemy, P&H Delphin, and P&H Hammer all come to mind. Most of these are more run with the wave surfers - not something which you can stick a rail into the wave and go sideways along the wave (Hammer might be an exception).

Valley Gemini SP, plastic or glass.

If you really want to “surf” I would look into getting a used wave ski and learn how to bottom turn, cut -back, re-enter etc. You can pick up a decent used wave ski for around $400. Then buy a boat for flat water paddling. The boats Peter mentioned are good for rough water paddling and rock garden play, but you are pretty much limited to Straight-In Charlie surfing, you can trim on a wave a bit, and try to throw the ends around, all good fun, but limited compared to a real surf kayak or wave ski.

The Cape Falcon F-1 is designed specifically for your stated purpose. It’s a well-thought-out, lightweight boat. However, it’s skin-on-frame construction that has to be handmade by you from a kit or plans. There used to be build classes, but looks like they aren’t available these days.

https://www.capefalconkayaks.com/f1.html

@carldelo said:
The Cape Falcon F-1 is designed specifically for your stated purpose. It’s a well-thought-out, lightweight boat. However, it’s skin-on-frame construction that has to be handmade by you from a kit or plans. There used to be build classes, but looks like they aren’t available these days.

https://www.capefalconkayaks.com/f1.html

And, I believe the Cape Falcon was/is a SOF take-off on the Mariner Coaster. Once in a while, a Coaster will pop up on craigslist or classifieds. Saw one last year posted on RI craigslist. The asking price was $2300 for a good condition, but over 15 year old composite kayak by the Broze brothers. Have to admit that I still wonder if I should have made a offer for it.

sing

I got to paddle a F-1 in NC a few years back. Yes it is based on a Mariner Coaster. Always wanted to try one myself.

There is a $1200 Mariner Coaster on Seattle’s Craigslist … may not last long.

Th Coaster/F-1 react similar on waves to the other boats I listed - run with the wave / straight in Charlie surfers. Won’t do the bottom turns, but backs, etc. that SeaDart mentioned that true surf boats would be able to do.

@rsevenic said:

And here’s another Coaster on Seattle’s Craigslist at $700.

@rsevenic said:

@rsevenic said:

It looks in good condition. I would snap it up for that price.

sing

@sing said:

@rsevenic said:

@rsevenic said:

It looks in good condition. I would snap it up for that price.

sing

Ditto