Hybrids in whitewater revisited

In light of the recent threads about using (or not using) hybrid boats like the Yukon and Crossover in ‘real’ whitewater, I found it amusing when my latest copy of American Whitewater showed up.

The cover story is about a bunch of guys who ran the Grand Canyon in, of all things, hybrid kayaks. In fact, the cover photo shows a loaded Yukon surfing it up…

I Believe Someone
in one of the threads make a very good point about the difference between “technical” eastern ww runs and big wide runs like the Colorado.

sing

That actually was me :slight_smile:
I just thought the timing was fairly serendipitous for that article to appear…

Here You Go…
some pics of the “Dryway” on the Deerfield – class III-IV. Look at the pics on page 5/6 of the “Dragon’s Tooth”, a class IV drop. Some serious carnage and trashing in the hole went on that day:

http://www.kayakingphotos.com/albums/deerfield0704a/deerfield0704a1.html

sing

Ah, the ‘fading’ brace in a hole :slight_smile:
Haven’t been on the Deerfield before–a bit far from home for me. I can relate to the poor guy slowly riding a brace down into the foam pile, though. Probably got his a$% handed to him shortly thereafter…

I definitely wouldn’t want to run a hybrid on those type of rapids. Too much pinning potential.

“Death Hole…”

– Last Updated: Aug-04-04 1:13 PM EST –

folks are saying that hole you see on the left has become more "retentive." Apparently, folks were getting caught in it and taking a thrashing.

I plan to make my way (rightside up?) down the dryway sometime the end of this summer. That's my goal. "Dragon's Tooth" comes right at the end. I may just assume take out before the Tooth rather than brave it for this year. I want challenge but not necessarily death. :)

sing

nice pics, run certainly
looks challenging…

That hole has not changed
over the years it’s always been trashy, more people are running it now so it gets more attention. I’ve seen and done it myself,taken a longer (14ft) light touring boats taken down that river including that rapid. the river left side is much easier.

2 questions
What was the guy in picture #24 on? It looked like a wake board or some modification thereof.

I noticed a lot of bloody noses and lips. Is that pretty common when running white water? I am a recreational 'yaker at this point so I have not experienced that yet.

you missed the bruised heads

OKay…
I am impressed. Tough enough for me with a short boat, never mind a longer touring boat. :slight_smile:

I wonder what and how long it takes for some of the features in these rivers to change over time. I know that reading accounts of the creek drop that Linda Weiss got pinned and drowned in earlier this season indicated a consensus that a sift have gotten worse and folks are being advised to avoid the line she took. I’ve also flyfished rivers where features have changed after ice out. The latter I can understand since they are not as steep and sheets of ice that form and dislodge can move midstream boulders as the ice sheet floats down stream. I would think this is less of a chance in rivers like the Deerfield where the water is dam controlled. But, I don’t really know. Guess that’s why it is important to run unfamiliar rivers with some of the veterans and to scout. I’ll be looking for someone to run the Dryway with soon, now that the Gap is becoming more “tame” for me.

sing

yep,
to a degree that is. Thats why we wear helmets…

river will always be there
I stepped up too early when I was first learning. I now tend to heed my little voice if it tells me ‘walk’ or ‘wait till next year’.

river features changing
Probably less common on dam controlled rivers. You’re more likely to see a feature change becasue some playboater decided to move a few rocks when the water was off. Quarry on the Natnahala is a good example of this. Of course, a single flood event removed the namesake roostertail from Tablesaw on the Ocoee, so go figure.

I think the big rivers out West have a tendency to change catastrophically when side creeks ‘blow out’ and throw lots of new boulders into the riverbed.

I Totally Agree!
That same voice that gives a warning of caution can also say, “Hmmm… the ‘butterflies’ just aren’t in the stomache, maybe you can move up for more challenge now.” :slight_smile: I’ve done the class III’s and can handle them pretty well. Class IV is a whole exponential jump though. :slight_smile:

I going to the Deerfield tomorrow to do the class II with a friend. I may go earlier and head up to the Dryway and scope out the rapids and how folks are playing it.

sing