I am going to vent and pout a little

Just remember.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Keep looking

Kayaks go really fast right now.
I missed a couple kayaks because I didnā€™t have cash in hand.
Finally took out some money, but I eventually found a new boat on the REI website.
Iā€™m hoping things get better over the winter, not that I need another boat or anything.

Everyone always needs another hull.

1 Like

Look what I got!

4 Likes

I see itā€™s a Dagger ā€“ is that the Stratos you were seeking? Looks like one of their stock colors for it. Congratulations if that is the case!

I had a vintage Dagger Magellan for a while ā€“ great boat and tough as nails ā€“ it had a vivid purple, turquoise and white swirl pattern. Only gave it up becuase it was so heavy. I donā€™t know of any other marque than Dagger that has used such colorful pellet mixes in their RM boats over the years.

Thanks! It is exactly the one I was after. The Stratos 14.5L

I was the perfect experience. The fella selling it contacted me via my add but he lives 235 miles away, however he was coming this way today so I only had to go 20 miles to meet him. He bought the boat new in the spring and I got it and a Seals neoprene spray skirt for almost $1000 less than retail.

I am still laughing in shock over the entire sweet deal.

1 Like

Congrats! When do we get to see the splashy pics? :grin:

1 Like

Hopefully I can take it out tomorrow and see how many times I can dump it. lol

Happy for you!

1 Like

I live in a river valley and where it meets the Atlantic it turns into this. Running the Shubie, Nova Scotia, 2018 - Cloud 9 Adventures - Kayak Hipster - YouTube
I am not at this level yet but maybe someday.

Iā€™m guessing that is a hellified tidal bore. The Bay of Fundy that is causing those conditions in the video has the highest tides in North America.

Yupā€¦it is a crazy thing.

for some reason, I thought the tides at Homer,Ak were the highest to lowest ā€¦

From Wikipedia:

With the Bay of Fundy , well known for the highest tidal range in the world (16 meters or 52 feet) most rivers draining into the upper bay between Nova Scotia and New have remarkable tidal bores. Notable ones include:

• The Petitcodiac River formerly had the highest bore in North America at over 2 metres (6.6 ft) in height, but construction between Moncton and Riverview, New_Brunswick, in the 1960s led to subsequent extensive sedimentation which reduced the bore to little more than a ripple. After considerable political controversy, the causeway gates were opened on April 14, 2010, as part of the Petitcodiac River Restoration Project and the tidal bore began to grow again. The restoration of the bore has been sufficient that in July 2013, professional surfers rode a 1 metre (3.3 ft)-high wave 29 kilometres (18.0 mi) up the Petitcodiac River from Belliveau Village to [Moncton]to establish a new North American record for continuous surfing.
  • The Shubenacadie River] in Nova Scotia. When the tidal bore approaches, completely drained riverbeds are filled. It has claimed the lives of several tourists who were in the riverbeds when the bore came in. Tour boat operators offer rafting excursions in the summer.

Homer Alaskaā€™s range from lowest to highest is about half that, 26 feet, with a recorded extreme of 33 feetā€¦

Been to Homer 42 yrs ago as well as to Mount Mckinley{as it was called then) and experienced majestic beauty throughout my travelsā€¦ I guess I was mistaken about the tide rangesā€¦ I hitched rides from Anchorage to Fairbanks and in between, spent a week in McKinley with an indiginous family traveling through the Park in an old school busā€¦they had traveling priveledges that non-natives couldā€™nt doā€¦Met Peter Graves at Anchcorage int. airportā€¦remember him?

Oh yes, Peter Graves, the silver fox of ā€œMission: Impossibleā€. Had a fan crush on him back around that time, though he was my momā€™s age!

There does seem to be a lot of conflicting information about the most extreme tidal ranges worldwide so it seems there are differing parameters for comparing them. And depending on geography and the landscapeā€™s abiliity to absorb them the local impacts can range a lot.

26 feet is enough to make misery if you pack too slowly on an ebb tide. We had a group on Cobscook Bay which is an extension of Passamaquoddy Bay which is another arm of water that connects to the Bay of Fundy.

Anyway the slow packers had the fun of dragging boats through seven hundred feet of clam flat mud.

Cobscook Falls is another tidal falls.

Last time I went Striper fishing along the Bay (moving with the tide the entire time) we did not make it around a point before the water filled in. We spent the cycle sitting on a bank drinking beer and fishing. It was traumatic. (ran out of beer)

Spent 15+ year paddling the Bay of Fundy, so many great places to paddle, I missing not being back home.