I Am SO Confused

How does one log off?

Click on your icon on top image then Log Out from the drop down (at least on a Win10 PC)

I don’t care what anyone says/; this redo is a stinker and it doesn’t matter which version you try. It keeps wanting me to sign up for an account. Somehow I thought I had an account all these years. Anyway if there is a way to sign up for an account, it remains a mystery to me.

Thank you. I suspect it was just a user issue

Well it looks like Brian has posted all kinds of helpful info. I appreciate the balanced and positive replies from rival51 and others. I am one of those people that just hates to spend time on “IT stuff” but overall the change seems better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. I think much of the backlash is because the real reason (or need) for the change was not openly/honestly communicated (to my knowledge) before the change was made.

@magooch
You obviously have an account since you’re here. :slightly_smiling_face:. I clear my computer cache and cookies before I shut it down so I always get that sign-up pop up until I do sign in. Happened with the previous version as well.

Throughout our paddling lifetimes…was anyone concerned about how many “LIKES” we accumulated?..LOL

Steve (still in Maine)

All you need to do is tap on the login button and if you are already logged in on the main site, it will send you right back.

Otherwise, you may just need to login on paddling.com.

If you still see the login message after that, send me a private message.

Thanks… I guess :man_shrugging:

Sorry if we didn’t tell everyone with enough warning but the timeline was very fluid up until about 48 hours before we made the change. I am glad that our web developer was able to keep the old version of the forums well-enough that y’all didn’t notice that it was struggling. From our end, we kept having to put out :fire: to keep it from running really slowly or crashing.

There were several times in the last month when the forum pages would take up to 30 seconds to load.
Now the page load time is under 5 seconds!

One other thing on the old version of the forums that personally drove me crazy was the method for logging in. I would often get stuck in a loop where it said I was not logged in but I really was. The new method is way better.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation of “struggling behind the scene”.

I’ve also had login/logout difficulty in the past.

2 Likes

If a Neanderthal like me can figure it out with a little help, it ain’t that hard.

3 Likes

It is not that I am confused, I just don’t like it. I don’t want to be advised about my interests, I don’t want a picture of my account. It feels like an intrusion into my personal space.

I’ll check back in a week or so and see if it is less intrusive, if not I’ll unsubscribe and go away.

You are under no obligation to add anything or follow the suggested links. There are plenty of active posters that never add any personal info. There is no intent to gather personal info, just the goal of making the site engaging.

Perhaps we should all gather at facebook ?

Don’t threaten me :wink:

Discourse (the current forum software) is one of my least favorite web interfaces. Much prefer the more traditional forum software. Another of my favorite forums switched to this last year. Arrrggghhh.

If you want some semblance of normalcy, at the top you see the following:
* [Latest] [New (8)] [Top] [Categories]
Select categories and it will show the traditional category headings instead of a jumble of the latest posts across the forum.

Well, count me as one who has no issues with the change. Seems fine to me. I like being able to choose categories or just see the ‘advice’, or see everything at once. I like being able to choose themes.

2 Likes

Likewise. Took be a bit but I am on board and appreciate what I can do with it.

1 Like

FYI - I am closing this topic.
Please post any additional questions/comments here: