I caught my 1st salmon on a kayak

Just last week… I just finished smoking some… I caught a 30 pounder & my wife caught one about 35-40…

She is not a good paddler so watching her being towed around by the fish for half an hour was entertaining…lol

I am going kayaking on the feather river again tomorrow from the hatchery to Gridley bridge aprox 20 miles or so… Afterwards I hope to catch another…

Sounds like you had a great time.

Congratulations. If there is enough
room, allowing a fish to tow your yak is a good way to tire it. Be careful with large fish and try to try to fight them away from the kayak. If one goes under the kayak it can pull you over for a swim.

Long enough rod
Thats why you need a long enough rod to reach around the bow. Fun wasn’t it. I found out the hard way to keep the fish approximately at a 45 degree angle to the bow. I lost my first 3 to snags in the American river when I let them tow me. The Feather may not have as many snags.

That’s why all my rods used for
catfish are 7 footers. I’ve hooked one that may have gone 20 lbs and he tried the dive under the kayak. I also catch a fair share of gar. Sometimes, its like reeling in a log until they get to the kayak or canoe, then its dive time. They love to go under the boat. Hooked something the other day that took out about 200 yards of line, think it may have been an alligator gar.

slamon
lol… Fortunately none tried to go directly under… ALthough my wife made a few circles…

There is the 70 b ridge not far away, & you can not fish on the other side. It was pulling me directly to the bridge as if knowingly so that I would have to release it if she made it…lol

I am heading out if a bit again for some kayaking & hopefully catching…

just wondering
what did you catch him on? And how deep?

Damon…

This can’t beat hooking up
to a large salmon but I caught a long nose sucker the other day while drift fishing the Clark fork. I thought I hooked a rock and I tightened up the drag and yanked to beat hell then it broke loose and I thought I was reeling in a broke line. Then there it was, some puny stinking trash fish that fought like hell.

This can’t beat hooking up
to a large salmon but I caught a long nose sucker the other day while drift fishing the Clark fork. I thought I hooked a rock and I tightened up the drag and yanked to beat hell then it broke loose and I thought I was reeling in a broke line. Then there it was, some puny stinking trash fish that fought like hell.

You need to hook up with a Buffalo fish.
Even the small ones can put up a fight like a bone fish on the flats.

kayak for bait?
how did you thread the kayak onto your hook?

You beat me to it
I was gonna say “it must’ve been a pretty big salmon.”