I didn't know they made a kayak

1 Like

Hadn’t heard of that one but they used to make a few…Wenonah Canoe Retired Canoe Models

1 Like

Looks like they may have acquired the molds and rights when Pacific Water Sports closed. Their sea otter, seal and skookumchuck are all Lee Moyer designs. The sea otter was sold by PWS. Probably the others too. The sea otter is still a very sought-after boat for touring. Lots of them in use in AK. We still have my wife’s (built in 80’ or so) which served her well through many miles and trips in Prince William Sound.

3 Likes

Wenonah used to make quite a few kayaks. One was the original Orion, an old style Olympic boat.

When the got bought out by the Current Designs conglomerate, part of the deal was to quit producing kayaks, so they sold their molds, so that CD could be the kayak people under their roof.

1 Like

Wenonah Canoe purchased majority ownership of Current Designs in 1999 and in 2004 moved its home base to the small Mississippi River town of Winona, MN.

CapeFear, you are correct, the story I was told was wrong. I heard it from the folks that bought that Orion’s mold. It sounded reasonable at the time because of holding companies like Confluence buying up so much.

Wenonah has since bought most of QCC and C4 paddleboards.

Confluence is now owned by Pelican, so all Dagger, Perception, and Wilderness System boats are now actually Pelicans.

“ Wenonah Canoe purchased majority ownership of Current Designs in 1999 and in 2004 moved its home base to the small Mississippi River town of Winona, MN.”

And we’re affiliated for years earlier