I have finally tried a canoe

it was a penobscot 17. It was really cool.

thats great
now you could make your name “pamlico_140-and-a-penobscot-once” it woudl be cool…but hard to type out every time you put up a message.

Liveoutside

Solo or tandem ?
Now that you think it is cool you can join the ranks of us bi-paddlers who actually can’t make up our minds as to which is cooler, kayaks or canoes

I personally think it is a toss up.

Cheers,

JackL

issues
took my wife down to Garden Cove for a paddle today and while there we stopped at FBO and I got her to try the Mad River 16 poly canoe. I thought it was incredibly stable and enjoyed myself. When we got back she made it clear that she thought it was tippy???..then she gave another reason…it was just too big and where would we put it?

She has been paddling a scupper pro and I think that the high seating of the canoe gave her the willies.

paul

canoe seat
One of the big advantages a canoe has over a kayak is that the paddler can very his position; sit on a seat, that is supplied, or reposition it lower; or kneel on both knees or on only one knee … or even stand up (if the particular boat has sufficient primary stability to make you feel secure).

Actually, canoe seats as we know them are a relatively recent (late 19th Century) addition to canoes. In its original form, the paddlers knelt in the canoe, perhaps resting their backsides against a low thwart. Today, such thwarts. called “kneeling thwarts” are commonly installed, or can be retrofitted.

Get your wife some knee pads from you local garden or hardware store, or buy her a kneeling pad from a Canoe supply outlet. She will feel very secure rock solid I guarantee you! And she will find it less fatiguing than a kayak over a the long paddle.

Also, buy yourself a copy of Bill Mason\s classic book “Path Of The Paddle” and find out how versatile and agile a canoe can be when you learn how to paddle it.

Mal

to replace the usual center thwart.

Canoe or kayak…
Well, I can’t choose. Both are sweet to paddle. I still want to keep my 14 foot lake/coast kayak though.

Last wednesday
one of the 8 kayaks in our group flipped in “boateater rapids”. Brian banged his helmet along the bottom rocks for awhile, then got free; water too shallow to roll I guess. The kayaks were all trying to get his boat and having a rough time. My son and I pulled up to his yak in our 16’4" Swift Dumoine, counterbalanced, picked up his yak, drained most of the water out of it, and rested it aross my canoe on the airbag, bringing it to the bank in fine style.Canoes are great for developing teamwork, or (blush) taking out a date, or sticking out in the crowd. I have canoed with some very experienced gentleman who can play in the eddies really well, and stretch their legs, take pictures or grab the binoculars in the flatwater and check out the wildlife. It’s all good.

cool

Canoe versatility
Along with Mason’s classic book, get the video series on DVD, and his daughter’s video on classic solo canoeing.

Canoes are more versatile, as Paul Mason proves with his book “Thrill of the Paddle”.

I really like canoes for their versatility. Still, when big stretches of open water are on the menu, nothing beats a proper sea-kayak (except a well designed sailboat, I suppose).

Buy a good pair of sunglasses
It won’t take long before switching from the kayaking darkside & paddling into the light in a canoe will result in you needing to buy a good pair of sunglasses.

LOL!

BOB

:^}

problem with kayaks
you are always hitting the blades of the front or rear kayak paddler. I go out in my Merlin and it is only me in the canoe, no hitting of paddle blades.

Now I have heard that some kayaks are solo like canoes but I don’t believe it.

cool?
Is that cool as in it being an enjoyable craft to paddles or cool as in you were looking cool?

Neither
He was talking about a cold front that was moving through the area.

actually…
I meant cool as in enjoyable but there was a cold front that day.