I need a quick moving rec kayak

Rec Yaks Multi Purpose
We are still shopping for a similar boat for my wife. The kestral is one we were looking at. She and I both plow water a bit in my daughter’s Necky Sky. But the Sky works great for my 8 year old and she darn near beat me across the lake in it the other day. OK, … I wasn’t really pushing the Shearwater too hard, but hey, she’s 8.

Amouse, have you told us “how big an old boy are ya?” The point of the above paragraph is that the Sky bogs a bit for we 200 lb. plus folk. You may indeed want to look at some of the 12 to 13 foot boats if you are plowing in the 9-10 footers.

And by all means do be careful in a rec yak in moving water. I’m a canoe guy and thought I could pretty much teach my daughters most of what they needed to know about these little covered canoes. There is more to them than I realized though. They can take on water easily, be a little tricky to get out of if you’re spooked, and are much different to empty of water than open canoes.

We stayed off the local rivers with the girls and their boats all last summer because they were running higher than normal. We did some flat water trips and practiced capsizes instead. I hope to get them some moving water training this year.

Liquidlogic Trekreation?
Anyone have anything to report on these? Could be another option.

Liquidlogic
The “Better Half” has the 10.5’ Tryon and loves it. Maneuvers easily, faster than many of similar size, very comfortable seat, and the layup is second only to OT’s layup. The Saluda is about a foot and a half bigger, and would probably be better if you’re a larger paddler. Here’s a pic of her’s in use. WW

http://community.webshots.com/photo/160941592/160954907TxUWqk

crossover
I’ve paddled my dagger crossover for over four years now and it’s taken me over many a river and lakes.The boat was designed for just that.I believe Daggers recomendation for river running was up to class one , but with good experiance I have run plenty of class two.It’s been a great doit all boat for me.I do firmly believe that if you’re going to take to the river,TAKE SOME CLASSES and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Another ringing endorsement
. . . for the Necky Manitou - just about the closest you can get to a “real” sea kayak in a rec boat. Take it from someone who has owned both a Sundance 12 and a Manitou: the Necky is faster. See my review in the Product Reviews section.