I need a quick moving rec kayak

I need a quick moving, inexpensive recreational Kayak that can handle small rapids. I have a Necky Sky but it plows through the water instead of slicing through it.

Who dosen’t?
If you find one let me know :slight_smile:

Hee-hee… What Olkole is trying to say
is that no boat does everything. Not sure what you mean by saying your present boat “plows” through the water instead of “slicing” when the idea of whitewater suitability is included (I looked at your profile and saw the question you had listed there too). True whitewater boats are pretty useless in anything except big whitewater, so I’m sure an actual whitewater boat is not what you want. There should be LOTS of rec boats that are “fairly” quick and responsive, and suitable for light whitewater. I’ve no personal experience with kayaks, but the Loon 113 and the 14-foot Pungo always come up as suitable candidates when a question like this is posted. I’ve seen both boats in action, and for rec boats, they move along pretty nicely.

whitewater rec??? nope
the Pamlico 100 is a 10’ boat that cuts thru the water fairly well but…it ain’t a whitewater boat.

a good whitewater boat will be a real slapper and NOT cut thru.

before you even think of running current and whitewater take some serious lessons.

steve

The question was about “small” rapids

– Last Updated: Apr-02-05 11:38 PM EST –

Who takes lessons to run Class I? Maybe that doesn't count as rapids to you, but that's what I think of when I think of "small rapids". I think you should lighten up a bit. I see people run Class-I and II rapids in everything from Loon 111s to Jon boats to Jenson racing canoes, with skill levels as low as "first time on the water", and I've yet to see something happen that posed the slightest danger. I'm not saying nothing bad could ever happen, but the chances of anything dangerous happening in Class-I are usually less than the chances of being struck by lightning.

I'm not saying not to be aware of potential dangers. I just get a little weary of the so-predictable "don't do that" commands that newcomers are faced with on this board, even when the situation they describe is nowhere near as extreme as what the question-answerer has in mind. Gotta keep things in perspective.

sundance 12

– Last Updated: Apr-03-05 1:00 PM EST –

The sundance 12 by perception may work for you.decent balence of speed tracking and turning. have paddle in high class 1-low 2 and it did well for me.
take a look in the review section.the price is around 650$.
the sundance 9 is decent and worth looking at to.

Pungo Classic 12
is an inexpensive reasonably good tracking and quick boat that I’ve had no trouble going through Class I riffles both downstream and paddling back upstream. The polyethylene seems to stand minor bumps against rocks well also. It’s about as inexpensive as they get.

Second the Pungo rec.
My wife and I have Pungo Classics and love them. They do everything we want a yak to do, and at a great price. ON a recent trip to Florida we rented the newer Pungoes in 14’ length, and I’ll be darned if I could feel a bit of a difference.

amouse12937
Depending on what you are truely paddling on, I think you need a balance between length and manuverability. Pungo’s are decent , as are lots of others. Generally the longer the boat the faster it will be, and the shorter the more easy to manuver thru obsticles. I use a 9’ Percept. Sundance on up to Class 2 rivers in MI. We have narrow streams and river with lots of strainers and other obsticles. Personally I don’t see the speed as being a big issue with me. I like the manuverability more.

Easy
Almost anything in the 12’ to 14’ range will run faster than your Sky.

I keep a Necky Gannet, which is pretty close to the Santa Cruze, for the kids and friends to paddle. I would not hesitate to run that on easy class II.

Bear in mind that whitewater boats are designed to play in rapids. A rec or touring boat will generaly run through rapids but you won’t get much play.

OTOH trying to get somewhere on flatwater in a whitewater boat is always going to be a chore.

Forget the Pungo
Current Design’s Kestrel 120. Outfitted like a real boat…

I’ve kept pace with a Valley Aquanaut. Try one.

Nice rec boat.

Necky Manitou
might do it for you, too. (the longer model)

Agree
The Necky Manitou and the CD Kestrel are probably the nicest rec boats out there.

I recently WON a Kestrel 120…
…And was going to sell it… that is until I paddled it… now I’m keeping it… great rec boat… GH

Paddle
Whichever boat you buy get a decent properly sized paddle. It will make a world of difference.

walden scout
would a walden scout be good

Manitou
Have one , fast enough, very stable, doesn’t turn like a white water boat. You have to learn to lean big time for a quick turn. Quite like it.

“Delta"
The West Side Boat Shop “Delta” is very quick for 13’10”, handles waves well (not super cheap) but an outstanding value & expertly crafted.

Inlet New york
is anyone around the inlet new york area.

Find a Dagger Crossover
Find a used Dagger Crossover and give it a try. It is now made by Perception but I don’t know what they call it. I will give up straight ahead tracking for good maneuverability when river running. The Crossover would be my choice for what you are looking for. It has the benefit of being outfitted as a whitewater kayak, rolls easy and has great stability. Catches eddies like a charm. As far as paddling in a straight line…that comes with practise.

The straight rec kayaks are ok…I have paddled the Necky Gannet, Manitou and the Pungos but wouldn’t buy any of them myself if swift water, eddying, and quick maneuvering around obstacles was potentially required.

My two cents worth.

Jim