I need help choosing a kayak

Thank you! That’s what I was hoping.

Ordered the kokatat gortex Cag from kayak Academy thanks to someone here tipping me off thanks. I forgot who it was. Gortex breathes better than the Hydrus. I think the warranty is better also. Kokatat hasn’t made gortex Cag in 2-3 years I think because I have been waiting.

Good over my drysuit or wetsuit on cold days. Good to have in the summer if caught in the rain.

Oh the warranty! There’s a valid reason for the price difference. They warrant their Hydrus dry suits for only 2 years. Might be the same for the cag.

Only 3-4 left at kayak Academy.

https://www.gore-tex.com/support/guarantee-and-returns

Does say Kokatat stopped making them a few years ago. They made a special run for Kayak Academy.

I guess pricing makes them hard to sell. When I first saw them 10+ years ago I think they were 250. They no longer make the gortex hats either. I paid 75-85 ten plus years ago, now Hydrus one is 85.

1 Like

Ah, thought I had read that your current skirt was a bit large and tended to slip off the combing.

1 Like

Outdoor Research has made GoreTex hats in the past, I still have my yellow one and it holds up well. Consider them an alternative to Kokatat if still available.

1 Like

Mine still looks good probably out last me. I wear it ALL the time. Don’t feel safe without it I feel jinxed. Only went out once in 10+ years without since getting it. Good for sun, good for insulation on hit and cold days, floats, fold up any or all sides. Thanks!

I wish - that would be much easier to work with.

But, I scoured the internet high and low and found a Seals Shocker 1.4 with a small tunnel at Rutabaga Paddlesports. These things are like unicorns now. Tom at Top Kayaker (who is amazing!) told me Seals didn’t make any neoprene skirts at all in 2021. I got lucky. I hope I don’t find it too tight on my boat. I debated a 1.7, but saggy skirts and GPs don’t play together well.

So no pricey cag for me yet. My wallet is happy. I might sew up the budget version and use it tomorrow.

1 Like

1.4 is what I use on my Extremes 29.5" x 16" cockpit. Skirts more important than a Cag

You made me second guess myself. The Scorpio is 33.5"x19". Sooooo now I have a 1.7 on the way, too. I’ll return the one that doesn’t work.

I can’t believe I found these!

1 Like

1.4 on my Solstice also but it’s 31"x 16".

I feel better that I have both sizes on the way. There was only one 1.7 with a small tunnel left, perhaps anywhere on the planet. So I’m glad you made me second guess myself.

1 Like

You can indeed have a jacket-skirt combo that replaces the skirt – that what a tuilik is.

Paddling instructor Paulo Oullet used to custom sew and sell a beautiful Goretex tuilik of his own design. Doesn’t any more and I still regret that I put off ordering one before he quit.

You can get a neoprene tuilik from Brooks - I got one last year (M/L size) that I have yet to use since QajaqUSA skills training kayak camp was canceled two years in a row. But I had used the ones that the instruction teams at the camps bring along for students in rolliing classes. Really works well for simplicity, warmth, keeping dry and even adding buoyancy for balance brace and rolling practice.

Topkayaker has them in stock. $395 would be cheaper than buying a cag plus a neo deck skirt and give you both functionalities. Too bad you don’t live closer by or you could try out the Brooks.

https://topkayaker.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2223

1 Like

Thinking of asking Paulo if he would share or sell a copy of his tuilik pattern – I just got 5 yards of a goretex knock off fabric that I could use to make one along his lines. I have some real G-tex and perhaps just making the torso of that and using the less breathable fabric for sleeves , hood and skirt portion would make an improved garment

They look super nice, but I think they are probably not for kayakers like myself who swim more than the average paddler. I definitely need to wear a dry suit. I wouldn’t want anything fitted over it. Hopefully I can get a good roll in this kayak, but I won’t start working on that until the waters warm up again.

1 Like

You likely already know this but … Qajaq USA has a Tullik pattern. Not Paulo’s but it might work for a start:
https://www.qajaqusa.org/content.aspx?page_id=586&club_id=349669&item_id=8200

1 Like

Says for stretchy fabrics so not sure gortex would work?

I second the suggestion that you look at Eddyline kayaks

Yes, I got their pattern and the strip of gripper material for the coaming hem that they offered along with it. Been sitting for at least 6 years with the other piles of un-started sewing projects in my project room. The materials and debris from stitching up nearly two thousand covid face masks since April of 2020 kind of overwhelmed that space. I thought I was done with that this summer but demand rebounded due to the infection spikes and mutant break-throughs, so friends and family (and even my friends’ outfitter shop that has been selling my outdoor sports-themed masks for 18 months) have been asking for more of them. So I sew on…

I had a bunch of Hannukkah and Christmas fabric and cold weather flannel lined ones left over from last year that I thought I would be cannibalizing for quilt piecing and jeans patches by now, but I just sent a couple of batches of those out to folks who say they still prefer my sturdy (and fancy) custom models to the flimsy Chinese made drug store offerings and those ghastly blue papery things that I call “chin Pampers”.

Speaking of chin Pampers, I didn’t get out and paddle all that often this summer, but I did see the dreaded blue and white “floaters” several times on local waterways, both at launch areas and caught in herbage along the shore. I shudder to think what volume of disposable non-compostable trash has been added to the waste stream and natural spaces as pandemic “by catch.”

2 Likes

I love that you made and are making so many masks! :heart: I sew, but never got into mask making. Instead I supported quite a few Etsy businesses who do.

1 Like