I need help choosing a kayak

I’ve sewn a few masks but none that fit great. Can you share what pattern you’ve been using? Thanks!

They found that the effectiveness of the masks varied widely: a three-layer knitted cotton mask blocked an average of 26.5 percent of particles in the chamber, while a washed, two-layer woven nylon mask with a filter insert and metal nose bridge blocked 79 percent of particles on average.Apr 5, 2021

[image]

https://www.epa.gov › sciencematters

EPA Researchers Test Effectiveness of Face

My wife and I bought Kokatat Gore-Tex storm cags a few years ago. I think, but am not sure that these came with a lifetime warranty, like their drysuits. As was mentioned, the Hydrus cags have a 2 year warranty. Given what they are designed for, I do not think the warranty is a major issue. In most areas they are used infrequently and do not get a lot of wear. I think that Gore-Tex is at least partially behind the lifetime warranty issue.

Cags, while they will keep water out of the cockpit, they are not as secure as a spray skirt. For most boats and skirts they easily fit over a skirt in boats designed to accommodate a skirt.

If there is the slightest chance of rain we always carry them. They easily compress down to fit behind a seat, under bungees, or in a day hatch. They are reasonably easy to put on while on the water, as opposed to a dry top. You don’t have to remove your PFD.

Personally, I find a Gore-Tex dry top more comfortable if there is going to be cold sustained rain. Since storm cags generally have a Velcro wrist closures at best. you have to be careful that you do not scoop up water. If you then raise your elbows a bit too high, the water drains under the cag.

You can’t put a dry top on over your PFD. You can’t put a dry top over a drysuit for more warmth in the winter. That’s why I bought it. You can’t cover as much of your body with a dry top if you need to while on shore. Gortex makes companies honor a warranty. Gortex breathes better than Hydrus. I got mine 10 days ago but haven’t used it yet. I don’t expect it to be a skirt replacement for sure.

Never had a scoop problem even with my Stohlquist with Velcro wrist closures.

I wear it for wind protection. Used it yesterday over farmer John which I haven’t use in years. I hit it with DWR Nikwax.

@Pru, I might be a little late to this party, but I just ordered a Seals Sea Sprite 1.4 from the Kayak Centre in Rhode Island and they seemed to have a decent stock of Seals skirts of various types. I used to work there so they are one of my go-to online spots for gear. Their website is usually pretty updated but you can always call to double check.

www.kayakcentre.com - note the British spelling of “Centre” - they imported and sold Valley kayaks and accessories for years.

1 Like

Moved to a new thread

1 Like

I think I’m set but I’m not sure. It’s a long story, and I may need another option - so thank you!

2 Likes

@Hadleyroman you’d be better off starting a new thread rather than hijacking this one - you’ll get more responses in a separate thread anyway.

True that. I’m the only one here who is allowed to hijack threads! :partying_face:

2 Likes

Put this in it’s own post and you’ll get answers.

When you start that new thread you might also give us a rough idea of your location.

Bodies of water called ‘Bays’ in many cases should be considered “Ocean”. Consider Chesapeake Bay on the east coast and San Francisco Bay on the west coast.

2 Likes

Qcc is probably fine for him.

Thank you - I was not sure if I should start a new thread or add to an advice thread. I will start a new one and provide general location!