I think I found a Kayak

I’m a total beginner never paddling a kayak in my life.

Been trying to find a good, longer, day trip sort of kayak, because I think that is how I want to go.

I’m 5’7" and 170 pounds.

I found a great, used Perception Corona on Craigslist that is local. I plan to go see it. 500.00 with paddle, hull cover and rudder. Says always kept inside when not on the water, transported the right way and in excellent condition. It does look awesome from the pictures I saw…it’s a 14 footer…small enough to be handy and a river rat, but has length and storge for some nice day trips. this is what I am looking for.

Thing is, research tells me the Corona is very tipsy and not for the timid. I plan to start off in very shallow water and get some basic lessons from a local rafting outfit.

So…is this my ship? anyone have an opinion about the Corona?

Thanks!!

edit
There is also a listing for a Current Designs Squall and a Wilderness systems Tsunami.

550 for the Squall with rudder and 750 for the Tsunami. Both are said in excellent shape and stored inside.

Hard to decide…can’t drive around to see all of them.

Get the Squall
IMHO - best of the three

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

fb.me/theriverconnection

what type of water?
What types of water are you considering paddling? You mention about getting instructions from rafting company - and they normally work in white water (moving) rivers. Is this the paddling you will be doing?

I was also thinking that Squall would be good. It’s 16.5 inch, rudder says hardly used for 550.00

On youtube it says they are good for smaller and mid size people…I guess I’m mid size at 5’7" and 170 pounds. Can’t be too picky about fitting in it, becausse it’s 550 dollars and used. If it seems to be too big of a fit I can always trade torwards another…at least I’ll know what I need and I’ll actually get on the water in a kayak…finally.

I plan on no rapids…just nice, long, lake cruises and possible overnight stays on some of the small islands out in the lakes around here. Some river runs as well…in the calmer areas. With experience, possibly bigger rivers, like the St.Lawerence. For now, I just want a boat I can pack some camping gear into plus a small pup tent and a bit of food for an overnight camp out.

The squall is 106 miles away…I think I’ll call and arrange a time this saturday to look at it.

Squall…
really good hull that you can grow into for several years…better plastic too.

You should fit the squall ok

– Last Updated: Jun-10-16 9:17 AM EST –

But yes, sit in it to be sure.

At 6 ft 1 inch my husband had longer legs than would work on the smart track system installed for me in my Squall. But 4 inches taller than me should not create that issue no matter where the rails are set.

And 170 pounds is fine for the Squall. It is a smaller, not really small paddler, sized boat.

Perfect first boat for touring. It was my first sea kayak, got me home safe over my bad habits many times. And for camping, to you can really over pack if you don't mind pushing that much weight thru the water. Tremendous capacity. Get the Squall if it sits ok.

Why are you limiting yourself
to one boat?

Hooked - shhhhh
Pirate - he’s almost taken the bait. Once tasted he’ll be hooked and then will want to more, more, more. A fleet will be developed soon enough. :wink:

I seriously think that’s how I started a kayaking biz. It wouldn’t all fit in the house.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

fb.me/theriverconnection