I was told here that I couldn't make a GP

unless I use one.
One of mine, the first, just paddled 43 miles in 2 days successfully.
My grandson just paddled 5 miles with another and he had never touched one.
My point it, it is a simple form that any decent woodworker should be able to create.
I’ve got one on order and one in progress.
It doesn’t hurt that I’ve been giving them away.

@string said:
unless I use one.
One of mine, the first, just paddled 43 miles in 2 days successfully.
My grandson just paddled 5 miles with another and he had never touched one.
My point it, it is a simple form that any decent woodworker should be able to create.
I’ve got one on order and one in progress.
It doesn’t hurt that I’ve been giving them away.

And I don’t use them. I use a Wind Swift.

You or anyone can make a Greenland paddle. The statement should have been that it’s very difficult to perfect a Greenland Paddle , unless you use one. Or to perfect your personal size , All the size definitions for a given person are just a ballpark and to actually dial it in, you need to use one. or actually , many different ones. {this also includes the different styles of Greenland Paddle} Just like in Euro Paddles…there isn’t just one exact shape, there are several variations which are defined by how you wish the paddle to load etc.

I was told once that it didn’t happen unless there were pictures.

some of mine…next…someone else s

turn

Why are they black?

Looks like they are carbon fiber, two piece, maybe four? with an adjustable loom. Who makes them?

I made them. All except one are carbon. some two piece some four piece and some 5 piece. some with adjustable looms some with lendal padlocs. all different sizes

@roym said:
I made them. All except one are carbon. some two piece some four piece and some 5 piece. some with adjustable looms some with lendal padlocs. all different sizes

Nice

My premise is a try it to find out the size any paddler needs

. Here is a sample of a portion. Here are five carbon fiber paddles , all the same width at the widest point. All have the same tip shape and blade shape. They all have adjustable looms and in the picture I have the looms all adjusted to the same length. The only difference in these paddles from one to the other is the actual blade length so the blades are 5 different lengths. With the looms adjusted to the same length each of these paddles are one inch longer than the one next to it …so 5 different length paddles without making any loom length change.

I am aiming to have this in 3 different widths, so far I only have 11 finished in this series and 2 more are nearing completion…lots of fun…

Beautiful! Are you going to sell them?

I’m glad my dad didn’t have any of those around when I was a kid. The belt was rough enough.

@string said:
Beautiful! Are you going to sell them?

Thanks…Not selling, just showing off one of my projects. This is how I plan on determining what size a person should make. Instead of the educated guess system used presently…When I’m done I should have 15 or so paddles 3 different widths all with
adjustable looms …not including my kid sized paddles.or other shaped Greenland paddles based on other time periods…all of these can be made in 4 piece and have the parts interchange…but that is another project

Wow do you have a truck load of carbon fiber at home? just curious what does it cost in materials to make one?

I doubt that anyone meant that a GP could not physically be manufactured. That seems an exaggeration or a misunderstanding.

I agree that it is difficult or unlikely to make a paddle that fits exactly how you want until paddling with one to establish personal preferences. I had a second one made up after spending time with my first, which was exactly on the right specs, to get one with a slight change in the blade dimensions and a smoother shoulder. This is a normal kind of progression for someone who has access to more inexpensive ones.

String…you can’t make a kayak. :wink:

@dc9mm said:
Wow do you have a truck load of carbon fiber at home? just curious what does it cost in materials to make one?

I buy my materials as I go…

.there is a huge misconception about home built paddle costs. Many see a home built and think…OH Good …I can get a deal. The misconception is that in order to get a cheap deal, the paddle maker has to buy materials in quantity {just like a mass production paddle making operation} then they need to produce a quantity and sell that quantity so that cost per paddle pays for all the equipment and supplies used in the production process…OOPS…you have become a mass production operation.{there needs to be a large enough demand to do this}

The small maker has to pay more for their materials etc…when everyone complains about the cost of a high end Werner…they are complaining about a mass produced item , that was built using materials sourced in quantity. Just a few thoughts for your morning…to go with the coffee.

Best Wishes
Roy